He knew that he was breaking all the unspoken rules of a gentleman by being with her while in such a state, considering she was unmarried and alone with him. But he could not seem to help it. She was ill, and he needed to be by her side to ensure that she was receiving the best care.

He had waited for her for a year already. He was not going to lose her over some stubborn illness now.

He would not allow it.

Gently, he touched the side of her face with his hand, still not quite believing that she was before him. When he arrived in London last year, he thought that he would have seen her enjoying her first season as a debutant. But to his dismay, she had not been present, and after a couple of weeks of circumspect questioning, it was revealed to him that the Countess had not returned to London for years and there was no rumor of her returning, especially since it was nearing towards the end of the season.

A sudden bout of panic at the thought Cordelia no longer lived with her aunt made his heart race. Although he attempted to pacify himself by knowing that she had no one to live with besides her aunt, there was always the possibility that her brother would find her again.

And so, he found no reason in torturing himself with the useless parties any further. His presence would only give false hope to the other young ladies present. So, he left London shortly after to continue his business of repairing his family's lost fortune. He did not need to waste time looking for a wife, for he already knew whom he wanted to marry.

He had always known.

* * *

As the days trudged by, Cordelia felt her strength gradually return to her. The first two days she could hardly remember, only that each time she opened her eyes, a pain so unbearable would reverberate in her head that she could hardly move. But as the sun rose and fell, each time she awoke, she could feel the headaches grow less and less, until at last, she awoke to no pain at all.

Both her aunt and nurse continually fussed over her like she was a sick newborn. And although many people had come to visit her, most were not allowed to see her. The Countess had watched over her with a hawk-like precision, and she refused to let anyone near whom she felt would cause her distress.

It was the third day when Cordelia finally recovered enough strength to sit up in her bed, and she offered a tired smile as she watched Lady Alicia enter her room.

"Oh, my dear Cordelia. You look much better. I have been worried sick about you," she said as she moved towards her bed and sat down on the thick covers without an invitation.

Cordelia did not mind though, pleased to have some companionship other than the four walls surrounding her.

"I do apologize for causing you to worry," she replied, sighing as she leaned against the soft pillows propped up against her headboard.

"How are you feeling? Do you feel well enough to walk yet?" Alicia questioned, her emerald gaze flittering over her pale features.

"I have not tried yet, and I do not think I am well enough to chance a walk in the park."

"Then how about a walk in your back garden? It is such a lovely day; I am certain a bit of sunlight will lift your spirits and promote a faster recovery."

Cordelia smiled. "I suppose we could give it a try, but I will need assistance." She moved to ring the bell, but Alicia halted her movements by placing a hand on her arm.

"No need to bother Martha. I can help you."

Cordelia gave her friend a doubtful look. "Are you certain? I am not as light as I appear."