Chapter Twenty

He never said a word while he drove, didn't even look at her, and it made Lily that much more nervous. What was he going to do? He'd been watching her for days, his eyes broody and heavy. She knew he wanted her badly. The truth was she wanted him just as much, but she wasn't going to give in. She wanted that car. Then again, it might be moot. If he touched her the way she'd fantasized about, she might end up screaming her head off, her body's instinctive learned fear taking over. She hoped to God she wouldn't, but she simply didn't know.

They drove to the apartment complex she'd only been to once before. The penthouse. Her breath came out in a low, ragged sound when she realized where they were. There was no one to interrupt them here. No Luther or Mike or Adam. No girls knocking on her door. No one. She would be all alone with Nikoli Kincaid.

Oh, damn.

He parked then got out to open her door. She took his hand and let him help her from the car before following him to the elevator to the penthouse apartment. The ride up was quiet, and when the bell chimed their arrival, she jumped. Nikoli only smiled and led her out of the elevator and into the apartment. Her eyebrows shot up. New furniture decorated the main room, and she saw he'd even gotten a new kitchen table. He'd kept his word. A small smile flirted with her lips.

"Do the furnishings meet your approval?" he asked, his voice almost formal.

She nodded, not trusting her voice yet. The furniture was modern and done in softer tones than he'd had before. It was as if he'd shopped with her in mind, which was ridiculous. He wouldn't decorate this place just for her.

"Have a seat, and I'll get us something to drink." He motioned toward the couch, much as he had the first time he'd brought her here. She didn't see another option, so she took a seat, tugging her dress as far down as it would go, which wasn't saying much. She felt exposed, naked in this skimpy little black dress.

"Take your shoes off," he said, his voice casual, and Lily glanced up to see him surveying the contents of the fridge. She frowned but unbuckled the strappy heels. Her feet were killing her. It'd been a while since she'd worn six-inch heels.

Nikoli came over and dropped down on the other end, handing her a bottle of water. Lily took it and massaged her aching feet with the other hand. Nikoli brushed her hand away and pulled her feet into his lap. His fingers began to massage the bottom of first one foot and then the other, working out the tense muscles. He didn't say anything while he did this. He hummed to himself. She didn't think he even realized he was humming. He did it sometimes when he was very relaxed. Lily loved to watch him at times like these, when he was peaceful and carefree.

His smile was soft, and his black eyes glowed with contentment. His humming calmed her rising panic, and she slumped back against the couch cushion, a low moan of pleasure slipping out of her lips. This was nice, and she loved it when he was sweet like this. She was starting to love a lot of things about him, and it worried her. Nikoli didn't do girlfriends. Sure, for the sake of the bet, he'd called her his girlfriend earlier, but she knew he didn't really think like that. He may be helping her, but he had his own reasons for it. She had to remind herself of that. Daily. Hourly, really.

The problem was that little reminder stopped working weeks ago, and she wasn't sure how to stop herself from falling for the manwhore. She admitted she may have already fallen for him and was just too stubborn to admit it. Either way, she was in deep trouble. Her heart was bound to suffer an epic heartbreak by the end of all this. Of that, she was certain.

Nikoli studied her from underneath his lashes. Her face was pensive. He wasn't sure what she was thinking about, but her body was completely relaxed. It was exactly what he needed her to be. His fingers worked their way around to the top of her feet and up her ankles, slowly massaging the muscles. She was so relaxed she wasn't even paying attention to his wandering fingers, and he smiled as he moved higher to her calves. He kneaded the muscles and chuckled at her little sigh of pleasure.