Chapter Two

Lily was fuming by the time she returned to her friends. The nerve of the cheeky bastard. She was angry with herself too. Nikoli's touch had not inspired the same type of fear everyone else's did. The fear was still there, just lessened by something she didn't understand. Something that made her stomach clench deliciously. He wouldn't know that, though. Lily had no intention of becoming one of his girls.

"What was that about?" Adam frowned toward Nikoli, where he still leaned against the tree where she'd left him.

"Nothing," she said dismissively. "So, how was your summer, Mikey?"

Mike laughed at her obvious attempt to change the subject. "You need us to go explain a few things to old Nik?"

"No, there's nothing to explain. He needed a tutor, and I told him I didn't have time to take on anyone else."

"Tutor, my ass," Adam grumbled. "Lily, you..."

"I know exactly who he is, Adam," she interrupted. "I already told him no."

Adam's frown deepened. Sue, who up until now hadn't said anything one way or the other to Lily, reached out and tugged Adam to her, reminding him she was there. He gave Sue his one-hundred-watt smile. Lily died a little inside at the sight, but she kept her bland expression firmly in place. Wouldn't do to give Sue any more ammunition against her.

"So, did you guys watch the news last night?" Janet piped up. "There was another woman reported missing."

Lily had been watching the news, and it disturbed her. Three women had gone missing in the Boston area over the last three months. The bodies were recovered exactly a week after their disappearance. All three had been brutally raped, tortured, and severely beaten before being strangled. The police were finally admitting they had a serial killer on their hands. This latest disappearance, bringing the body count to four, had occurred six days ago. If the serial killer stuck to his pattern, the poor woman's body would show up tomorrow.

Sue rolled her eyes. "Janet, you worry too much. We're perfectly safe on campus."

Lily wanted to roll her own eyes at the little blonde tart. Sue honestly thought they were safe just because of a college campus? Psycho killers could stroll through campuses as easily as they could through a mall. There was no major security when it came to monitoring who was and who was not supposed to be on campus. Colleges were just as open to the public as the local McDonald's. Sue must have grown up in a bubble. She had no idea of the big bad wolves out in the real world, right in your own back yard. Stupid girl.

"Don't worry, ladies." Mike flexed his muscles. "We'll protect you."

Lily did roll her eyes at that. Mikey, for all of his six feet, two inches, still behaved very much like a little kid showing off. It was one of the things Lily loved about him.

"All right, Michelangelo, I feel soooo much safer now." Lily winked at Janet.

She and Mike had bonded over Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles reruns last year when Janet broke up with him. They were both addicted to the new TMNT cartoon series, despite the fact they were technically adults. Who said adults couldn't watch cartoons?

He smiled and threw a fist in the air. "Who else is gonna save your ass?"

"Campus security?" Lily asked dryly.

He stuck his tongue out at her. So mature. Lily turned her attention back to Adam, who was still nose deep into Sue. They looked so happy. It was one of the reasons she was so supportive. She didn't really like her, but Sue made him happy, and that was all that mattered to Lily.