Chapter Ten

Lily felt like crap, but her growling stomach roused her out of bed. She didn't even bother changing; she just took care of business in the bathroom and washed her face. Lily headed to the cafeteria dressed in her favorite penguin pajama pants and an old AC/DC t-shirt. Stifling a yawn, she grabbed a bowl of fresh fruit and yogurt covered in granola, along with a glass of OJ. She plopped down at the first table she came to and rubbed her eyes. They were blurry and gritty from lack of sleep. Her only plans for today were to eat, then go back to bed for a couple more hours, and then possibly she'd deal with Nikoli.

Just thinking about last night twisted her stomach into knots. She still couldn't believe Adam had said those awful, hurtful things to her. Never would she have thought him capable of being so cruel. She tried to tell herself it showed he cared enough to be jealous, that she might have a shot at winning him from Sue, but it hurt too much. Lily didn't know how long it would take her to forgive him, but it wasn't going to be soon. It might actually help, too, if Nikoli's plan worked. If she stayed away from Adam and spent her time with Nikoli, then it might drive him crazy enough to realize she was more than just his best friend.

If Nikoli's plan worked, and that was a big if.

Her phone buzzed, and she looked down to see Adam's face on the screen. She hit ignore. Too early to even try to deal with him.

"You look like hell, Lils."

Lily let her head fall on the table. Mikey. Of course. Adam probably sent him to get a feel for how mad she was.

"Well, thank you, Michelangelo," she grumbled. "Make me feel all awesome, why don't you?"

He plopped down across from her, and his plate of steaming eggs and waffles made her grimace. How anyone could eat something that heavy first thing in the morning was beyond her. Just gross.

"Soooo..."

Lily grimaced, and he laughed, but then his face got serious. "Adam got so drunk last night, I thought he might have alcohol poisoning. I thought about taking him to the hospital a few times, but he refused to go."

"Is he all right?" She sat up, alarmed. She might be furious with him, but she didn't want him hurt. Well, not much.

"He's fine. Sleeping it off, but he told me some things before he passed out," Mike said. "I'm sorry for what he said, Lils, and so is he."

"Sorry doesn't cut it this time, Mikey."

"I know, but you realize he only said those things because he was jealous, right?" Mike shoveled eggs in his mouth and swallowed. Man didn't even chew. Lily screwed up her face, disgusted. "All he could go on about was you and Nikoli. He wants to beat the shit out of him."

"Yeah, well, it's none of his business, especially after what he said to me."

"Janet said you left with Nik last night." Mike put his fork down and focused all his attention on her. "Lily, he..."

"Is none of your business either," she told him bluntly.

"I just don't want you to do something stupid out of spite. You're like a sister to me, Lily, so I have to put my two cents in. Your eyes are bruised and hurt, so I don't know if you're thinking straight. Nikoli is, he's..."

"I know all about him. I'm going to tell you the same thing I told Adam. Stay out of it. I'm a big girl. I know what I'm getting into."

Mike stared at her for a long moment. "Lily..."

"I mean it, Mikey. Leave it alone."

"Leave what alone?"

Lily groaned at the sound of Nikoli's voice. She groaned again when he sat down right beside her. He scooted until only an inch separated them. Her palms started to sweat, but she forced herself to sit still.