Chapter Nine

"What's wrong?" Nik sat up in his chair and pushed the blonde off his lap. Lily sounded like she was crying. "What happened?"

"Doesn't matter," she whispered, her voice a little broken. "Do you want the deal or not?"

"Hell, yes, I want the deal." Why was she crying?

"Call me tomorrow, and we'll set up the details."

Click.

Nik pulled the phone from his ear and looked at the screen, shocked. She hung up on him. No one ever hung up on him.

Why the fuck was she crying?

The blonde tried to crawl back in his lap, and he stood. "Luther!"

Luther emerged from the direction of the pool tables. "Yeah?"

"Find your own way home," he told him. "I need to go take care of something."

Luther nodded and wandered back the way he'd come. Nik waved his waitress over and paid his bill, tipping the girl a fifty. She'd been a good server, actually doing her job instead of flirting. Plus, he knew she had three kids at home she was supporting off her tips. He'd overheard her discussing it with one of the other waitresses last year. Since then, he always tried to tip her well when she was his waitress. She appreciated it, and he got great service.

"We're leaving already?" the blonde asked, her eyes lighting up.

"I'm leaving. You can do whatever you want." With that, he grabbed his keys and walked out of the bar, the blonde forgotten. He couldn't get Lily's voice out of his head. She'd sounded devastated. He was thrilled she'd agreed, but the thought of this making her cry unsettled him.

It only took him about twenty minutes to get to her dorm. He nodded to Jamie, the security officer, as he strolled in. "Jamie, how's it going?"

"Not too bad." The young guard yawned. "I just got here, so I'll let you know in a few hours."

"I'm supposed to meet Lily Holmes, but I forgot what floor she said she's on," he continued, not missing the look Jamie gave him. "She called earlier and left a voicemail."

"Lily called you?" Jamie didn't look like he was buying that. Why was it so hard for people to believe Lily would agree to even talk to him?

Nikoli pulled out his phone, showing Jamie the last call with Lily's name on it. "What room?"

Jamie's eyes narrowed further, and his red hair only served to make his face look redder when he glared at Nik. "She's in room 432, but I swear if you upset her, I won't let you back in this dorm for any reason."

Nikoli was getting tired of the threats.

"Trust me." He forced himself to curb his irritation. "The last thing I want is to hurt her. She's upset, and I just need to check on her." With that, he boarded an elevator and tapped his foot impatiently as he rode up to the fourth floor. When he stepped off the elevator, two freshmen gawked at him, but he ignored them as he started searching room numbers.

Lily's door was dead center of the hall, and as he was about to knock, he heard something. Listening, he realized she was crying, and it made his gut wrench. Not letting himself think about why it bothered him, he knocked. He heard shuffling, and then the door opened. Her face was a puffy red mess. "You don't cry well," was the first thing out of his mouth. She tried to slam the door in his face, but he caught it and pushed his way in, closing the door behind him.

"I said we'd meet tomorrow."

"Milaya, what happened?" he asked softly. "Why are you crying?"