The Austronesian Effect

Dr. Alice Kere, Dr. Ben Talo, and Dr. Lucy Nara were the best and brightest scientists of the Solomon Islands. They worked at the Quantum Physics Laboratory in Honiara, where they had developed a device that could open portals to different realities. They called themselves the Reality Shifters, and they had a mission: to explore the infinite possibilities of the multiverse and learn from them.

One day, they decided to visit a reality where the Austronesian peoples never existed. The Austronesians were the ancestors of most of the people in the Pacific Islands, Southeast Asia, and Madagascar. They were known for their seafaring skills, cultural diversity, and linguistic influence. They wondered how the world would be different without them.

They activated the device and stepped through the portal. They found themselves in a familiar but different Honiara. The city was much smaller and less developed than their own. There were no signs of modern infrastructure, such as roads, electricity, or telecommunications. The people looked different too. They had darker skin, curly hair, and facial features that resembled those of the Papuans and the Melanesians. They wore simple clothes made of bark and leaves, and carried spears and bows. They spoke a language that the Reality Shifters did not recognize.

The Reality Shifters realized that they had entered a reality where the Austronesians never colonized the Pacific Islands. Instead, the islands were inhabited by the indigenous peoples who had migrated from New Guinea and Australia thousands of years ago. They had little contact with the outside world, and lived in small, isolated communities. They had no written history, no common identity, and no unified political system. They had developed their own cultures, languages, and traditions, but they had also faced many challenges, such as warfare, disease, and natural disasters.

The Reality Shifters were fascinated by this reality, but they also felt sad. They saw how much the Austronesians had contributed to the history, culture, and diversity of the Pacific region. They wondered what would have happened if the Austronesians had existed in this reality. Would they have brought new ideas, technologies, and values? Would they have created a more prosperous, peaceful, and connected society? Would they have enriched the lives of the people in this reality?

They decided to find out. They returned to their lab and adjusted the device. They opened another portal, this time to a reality where the Austronesians existed, but with a twist. They wanted to see how the Austronesians would have interacted with the indigenous peoples of the Pacific Islands, and how that would have affected Honiara.

They stepped through the portal and were greeted by a very different sight. Honiara was a bustling metropolis, full of skyscrapers, cars, and people. The city was a hub of trade, tourism, and culture, attracting visitors from all over the world. The people looked diverse, with various shades of skin, hair, and eyes. They wore colorful clothes, adorned with shells, feathers, and beads. They spoke a language that the Reality Shifters recognized as a creole of Austronesian and Papuan languages.

The Reality Shifters learned that this was a reality where the Austronesians had peacefully coexisted with the indigenous peoples of the Pacific Islands. They had shared their knowledge, skills, and beliefs, and had formed a harmonious society. They had also embraced the diversity and uniqueness of each island, and had celebrated their common heritage and identity. They had created a vibrant, dynamic, and inclusive civilization, that had influenced and inspired the world.

The Reality Shifters were amazed by this reality, but they also felt curious. They wondered how this reality had achieved such a positive outcome. What factors had enabled the Austronesians and the indigenous peoples to cooperate and collaborate? What challenges had they faced and overcome? What lessons could they learn from this reality?

They decided to find out more. They explored the city, talked to the people, and visited the museums and libraries. They discovered that this reality had a history of dialogue, exchange, and integration, that had fostered mutual respect, understanding, and appreciation. They also discovered that this reality had a vision of sustainability, innovation, and resilience, that had enabled them to adapt to the changing environment and society. They realized that this reality had a lot to offer, not only to the Pacific region, but to the whole world.

They decided to share their findings. They returned to their lab and recorded their observations and insights. They hoped that their research would help their own reality and other realities to learn from this reality and improve their own situations. They also hoped that their research would inspire more people to become Reality Shifters, and to explore the infinite possibilities of the multiverse and learn from them.

They closed the portal and smiled at each other. They had completed another successful mission. They were ready for the next one.