The Kilu Cave Paradox

Dr. Alice Kere, Dr. Ben Talo and Dr. Lucy Nara were the leading scientists of the Multiverse Project, a top-secret initiative funded by the Solomon Islands government to explore the existence and nature of alternate realities. Using a device called the Quantum Portal, they could travel to different versions of their world, where history, geography, culture and even physics might be different.

The Quantum Portal was located in a hidden underground lab in Honiara, the capital and largest city of the Solomon Islands. The device consisted of a large metal ring that generated a wormhole-like portal, a control panel that allowed the scientists to input the coordinates of their destination, and a scanner that recorded the data of each reality they visited.

The scientists had already visited several alternate realities, each with its own surprises and challenges. They had seen a reality where the Solomon Islands were colonized by Japan instead of Britain, a reality where the Panguna mine never caused a civil war, a reality where the islands were submerged by rising sea levels, and a reality where magic and mythical creatures existed.

But their latest mission was the most ambitious and risky one yet. They were going to visit a reality where the Kilu Cave never existed.

The Kilu Cave was a paleoanthropological site located on Buka Island in the Autonomous Region of Bougainville, Papua New Guinea. . The site was the oldest proof of paleolithic people navigating the open ocean i.e. navigating without land in sight. To travel from Nissan island to Buka required crossing of at least 60 kilometers of open sea. .

The scientists wanted to know what would happen if the Kilu Cave people never made that journey. How would that affect the history, culture and genetics of the Solomon Islanders and their neighbours? How would that change the dynamics of the region and the world?

They entered the coordinates of the reality they wanted to visit, which they had calculated based on a complex algorithm that took into account the butterfly effect and the quantum uncertainty principle. They put on their protective suits, which were equipped with sensors, cameras, communicators and emergency beacons. They also carried backpacks with some basic supplies and tools, such as water, food, knives, ropes, flashlights and a portable scanner.

They stepped into the portal, which shimmered with a blue light. They felt a brief sensation of weightlessness and disorientation, and then they emerged on the other side.

They found themselves in a forest, surrounded by tall trees and lush vegetation. They could hear the sounds of birds, insects and other animals. The air was humid and warm.

They checked their scanner, which displayed their location and some basic information about the reality they were in. They were still on Buka Island, but in a different time and place. The date was November 16, 2023, the same as their original reality, but the time was 10:46:13 GMT-05:00, which meant they were five hours behind. The scanner also indicated that the reality they were in had a divergence point of 30,000 years ago, which confirmed their hypothesis.

They decided to explore the island and look for signs of human activity. They followed a trail that led them to a clearing, where they saw a large wooden structure. It looked like a temple or a palace, with intricate carvings and decorations. It was surrounded by smaller buildings and huts, which seemed to be the homes of the people who lived there.

They approached the structure cautiously, hoping to make contact with the locals. They hoped they would be friendly and curious, and not hostile and suspicious. They also hoped they would be able to communicate with them, using their knowledge of the languages spoken in their original reality.

They reached the entrance of the structure, which was guarded by two men armed with spears and shields. They wore colourful clothes and jewellery, and had tattoos and piercings on their faces and bodies. They looked at the scientists with curiosity and wariness.

The scientists greeted them with a smile and a wave, and tried to introduce themselves in Pijin, the lingua franca of the Solomon Islands in their original reality. They said they were visitors from another island, and that they wanted to learn more about their culture and history.

The guards looked at each other, and then at the scientists. They did not seem to understand what they were saying. They spoke to each other in a language that the scientists did not recognize. It sounded like a mix of Austronesian and non-Austronesian languages, but with some unfamiliar words and sounds.

The guards then pointed their spears at the scientists, and shouted something that sounded like a warning or a command. The scientists realized they were in trouble. They tried to explain that they meant no harm, and that they wanted to talk to their leader or their elders. They hoped they could find someone who could speak a language they knew, or at least someone who was willing to listen to them.

But before they could say anything else, they heard a loud noise behind them. They turned around and saw a group of soldiers running towards them. They wore uniforms and helmets, and carried guns and grenades. They looked like they were from Papua New Guinea, but with some differences. Their badges and flags had a different design, and their weapons looked more advanced.

The soldiers opened fire at the guards, who fell to the ground. The soldiers then aimed their guns at the scientists, who raised their hands and tried to surrender. They shouted that they were not enemies, and that they were just scientists. They hoped the soldiers would spare them, and maybe even help them.

But the soldiers did not listen. They fired at the scientists, who felt a sharp pain in their chests and heads. They collapsed to the ground, blood spilling from their wounds. They saw their scanner, which flashed a red light and emitted a loud beep. It was their emergency beacon, which was activated by their vital signs. It was sending a signal to their lab in Honiara, where their colleagues were waiting for them.

They hoped their colleagues would receive the signal, and send a rescue team to bring them back. They hoped they would survive, and tell their story. They hoped they would find out what happened in this reality, and why the Kilu Cave never existed.

They closed their eyes, and everything went dark.