Quantum Adventures in the Pacific Islands Federation

Dr. Alice Kere, Dr. Ben Talo, and Dr. Lucy Naro were a team of Solomon Islander scientists who worked at the Quantum Physics Laboratory in Honiara. They had been developing a device that could open a portal to alternate realities, where history had taken a different course. They had tested the device on small objects, such as coins, books, and plants, and had observed fascinating variations in each reality they visited. They had seen realities where Solomon Islands was still a British protectorate, where the Bougainville Civil War had never happened, where the Pacific Islands had formed a federation, and many more.

They had always dreamed of exploring these realities themselves, but they knew it was too risky. The device was still experimental, and they had no way of controlling which reality they would end up in, or how long they could stay there. They also had no guarantee that they could return safely to their own reality. They had to be content with observing and recording the data from their device, which they called the Portal.

One day, however, they decided to take a chance. They had just finished a successful test on a painting of the Solomon Islands flag, which had shown them a reality where the flag had a different design and colors. They were curious to see what else was different in that reality, and they felt a surge of excitement and curiosity. They agreed to enter the Portal together, and to stay for no more than five minutes. They set up a timer and a backup system that would automatically close the Portal and bring them back if anything went wrong. They put on their protective suits and helmets, which had sensors and cameras to record their experience. They held hands and stepped into the Portal.

They felt a jolt of energy and a flash of light, and then they found themselves in a different place. They looked around and saw that they were in a city, but not the one they knew. The buildings were taller and more modern, the streets were cleaner and busier, and the people were dressed in different styles and colors. They saw signs and billboards in English, Tok Pisin, and other languages they did not recognize. They heard music and voices and horns and sirens. They smelled food and smoke and perfume and exhaust. They felt overwhelmed and amazed.

They checked their helmets and saw that they had arrived in Port Moresby, the capital of Papua New Guinea. They wondered why they had not ended up in Honiara, where they had started from. They guessed that the Portal had transported them to a random location within the same reality. They decided to explore the city and see what they could learn.

They walked along the streets and noticed that the people looked happy and prosperous. They saw shops and restaurants and offices and hotels and cinemas and parks and museums. They saw cars and buses and bikes and scooters and trains and planes. They saw flags and symbols and statues and monuments. They saw a mix of cultures and ethnicities and religions and languages. They saw a vibrant and diverse and peaceful society.

They were impressed and curious. They wondered what had happened in this reality that had made Papua New Guinea so different from their own. They wondered how Solomon Islands was doing in this reality. They wondered if they had any counterparts in this reality, and what they were doing. They wondered if they could meet them and talk to them.

They decided to look for a library or a museum or a newspaper stand, where they could find some information about the history and politics of this reality. They asked a friendly passerby for directions, and he pointed them to a nearby building that had a sign that said "National Library of Papua New Guinea". They thanked him and headed towards the building.

They entered the library and saw rows and rows of books and shelves and computers and desks and chairs. They saw people reading and studying and browsing and chatting. They saw librarians and staff and security and cleaners. They saw a sign that said "Welcome to the National Library of Papua New Guinea, the largest and most comprehensive library in the Pacific Islands Federation".