The Missing Islands

Dr. Alice Kere was nervous as she entered the Quantum Reality Lab in Honiara, the capital of Solomon Islands. She was about to embark on a journey that no one had ever done before: to explore an alternate reality where the Bismarck Archipelago never existed.

The Bismarck Archipelago was a group of islands in the southwest Pacific Ocean, located northeast of New Guinea and east of the Solomon Islands. It was named after the German chancellor Otto von Bismarck, who claimed the islands for Germany in the late 19th century. The archipelago was the site of many battles during World War II, and later became part of Papua New Guinea and the Solomon Islands.

Alice was fascinated by the idea of what the world would be like without the Bismarck Archipelago. How would the history, culture, and geography of the region be different? How would the people and the environment be affected? She had spent months researching and simulating various scenarios, but nothing could compare to the real experience.

She was joined by her colleagues, Dr. Ben Talo and Dr. Lucy Nara, who were also eager to see the results of their project. They had developed a quantum device that could create a wormhole to another dimension, where the laws of physics and probability were slightly different. By tuning the device to a specific frequency, they could access a parallel reality that matched their criteria.

They had tested the device several times before, but only for short durations and with simple changes. This time, they were going to stay longer and explore a more complex and drastic change. They had prepared everything they needed: protective suits, portable scanners, cameras, and communicators. They also had a backup plan in case something went wrong: a remote control that could activate the device and bring them back to their original reality.

They entered the chamber where the device was located. It looked like a large metal sphere with wires and cables attached to it. Alice checked the settings and confirmed that they were ready to go. She gave a thumbs up to Ben and Lucy, who nodded back. They put on their helmets and gloves, and stepped inside the sphere.

Alice pressed a button, and the device started to hum. A bright light flashed, and they felt a sudden jolt. They were transported to another world.

They opened their eyes and looked around. They were standing on a beach, facing the ocean. The sky was clear and blue, and the sun was shining. The air was warm and humid, and they could hear the sound of waves and birds.

They scanned the horizon and saw no sign of the Bismarck Archipelago. Instead, they saw a vast expanse of water, stretching to the edge of the world. They checked their GPS and confirmed that they were in the same location as their original reality, but in a different dimension.

They were amazed and excited. They had done it. They had traveled to a quantum reality where the Bismarck Archipelago never existed.

They decided to explore the area and see what else was different. They walked along the beach and noticed that the sand was finer and whiter than in their reality. They also saw some shells and corals that they had never seen before. They collected some samples and took some pictures.

They reached a small village, where they saw some people fishing and farming. They looked like Solomon Islanders, but they wore different clothes and spoke a different language. They greeted them with smiles and gestures, and tried to communicate with them. They learned that the village was called Rani, and that the people belonged to a tribe called the Rani.

They asked them about the Bismarck Archipelago, but they had no idea what they were talking about. They said that they had never heard of such a place, and that they had always lived on this island. They said that their island was called Rani, and that it was part of a larger island called Guadalcanal.