Chapter 55

—-Jaber's POV—-

Fortunately, Lx10 turned out to be an ally. Even if he wasn't, he couldn't go back to Lx2 at this point. I made sure to let him know about the consequences if he did.

I lead the two duplus to the back entrance I found with the help of the blueprint and just as we had planned, Amaani was waiting there with anticipation. I had already given her the good news through the earpiece so she stood with a beaming light emitting from her veiled face. Her eyes told me how incredibly grateful and happy she was to see Lexie again.

Somewhere, I couldn't help but hope that a bit of her happiness was because of me.

Not expecting to see Lx10 with us, she froze for a split second as soon as he emerged from behind me. He was a bit taller so his presence wasn't one to go unnoticed.

"Lexie—!" Her enthusiasm died halfway as her eyes widened at his sight. "You?" She spoke confrontationally.

"Good to see you too, Amaani." He said with a grin and I looked at the two of them, a kind of annoyance appearing on my face.

"You've met before?" I asked to which she folded her arms over her chest and nodded. "Unfortunately, yes. He was Lx2's right hand man when he came to abduct me." She narrowed her eyes at him. I turned for another glance at the lean man beside me. He had a good looking face with a very cheeky smile. I was almost sure I had seen him in the community but after coming to know about the Duplus, it could just mean I had seen his host.

He looked like the kind of person who didn't take anything seriously and I could understand why Amaani had that grudge against him.

"Really sorry about that, Miss. I had no clue we had the wrong girl. Besides, Lx2 had brainwashed me so I'm not really to blame." Though he sounded smug, his words were sincere. I saw Amaani shaking her head in displeasure but she chose to close the conversation. "No one can force anyone to do anything they don't want to." She mumbled under her breath and turned to Lexie.

The two of them reunited like long lost sisters and I stood there impatiently to wait for them to finish.

"With your permission, we'll take our leave. We have to get to Lx2 before he finds out Lx16 is gone." I said to them. Amaani quickly looked at me and shook her head. "But, we've saved Lexie. That's what our main objective was. You still want to face him right now?"

The concern in her voice made my heart beat faster and for that only, I wanted to make her worry more.

"There can't be a better time than this, Amaani. Remember, I asked you to trust me, right?"

She piped down hearing that and heaved a long sigh. "Fine. But you'll stay in touch through the communication earpiece, okay?"

I wanted to hold her hand and give it a squeeze to calm her down but knew we were not halal for each other. It only made my urge to be closer to her grow. The only thing keeping me in check was the slight ray of hope that she had agreed to marry me.

"Of course."

I smiled briefly not wanting to make such a scene in front of Lexie and Lx10, though they wore meaningful expressions and looked at us like they had an idea about what was going on.