Chapter Five

"We're home!"

Gracie ran upstairs to change out of her ballet clothes and into a bathing suit. "I'll be backs in a second."

I walked towards the kitchen, setting my bag down next to the stairs. I was lost in thought most of the way, thinking back on what Lisa had said. Could any of that be possible? C0uld Nathan really have not wanted any of this?

I shook my head and headed toward the kitchen. "Anybody home?" I called, walking slowly down the hall.

"In here!"

I walked into the kitchen, the doors leading to the balcony open, the pool looking rather refreshing, with the smell of burgers cooking on the grill, wafting up into the house.

Nathan had Abby lying on a blanket on her back, in front of the open doors. I scooped her up into my arms, and looked for Nathan.

Turning slightly, I saw him standing in front of the refrigerator, one door open, and a studious mask across his face.

"Hey," I said, shifting Abby to my hip.

"Hey," he answered back, eyes not leaving the fridge, but his face lightening to a casual, relaxed look, a soft smile gracing his lips. "How was ballet?"

"You have a talented daughter."

He laughed, his eyes glancing my direction as he did so. "No note from the teacher?"

I raised an eyebrow. "Is there usually one?" I asked, tugging a clump of hair free from Abby's grip, and leaving a strand. I 'm not a monster after all.

Nathan turned away from the fridge, real smile lighting up his face. "Well, the last three weeks there has been at least. But I blame that on the old nanny, who used to try and fix what she was learning. While Gracie was still in class."

I nodded my head. "Got it."

He nodded in affirmation, before turning back to the fridge.

"What are you looking for?" I asked, walking around the counter and joining him in front of the fridge.

"The ketchup! I swear I saw it earlier when I grabbed the meat, but now-"

I reached out in front of him, plucking the ketchup bottle from the shelf on one of the refrigerator door, and handing it to him.

"Here."

He chuckled softly. "Thanks."

"No problem," I answered following him outside, down the steps, and back to the grill."

"So," I said, settling myself on the grass and Abby on the blanket I snatched from off the ground before leaving the house. "I met your sister in law today."

"Oh?" he said, paying close attention to the meat he was grilling. "And how is dear Lisa."

"From what I could tell, very well, she says hi by the way."

He smiled. "I haven't visited them in a while."

"Why is that?"

"I don't know. I have seen them a few times with the girls, I work with my brother, Greg, at the company, but I, we, haven't been over to the house in a while. A month at least."

"Lisa mentioned something about... Never mind."

"Oh don't tell me, she told you about the house."

I took a deep breath, noticing the tightening of his muscles as he flipped the hamburger patties. "Yes."

"Nancy liked everything in her life a certain way. And a big house was among them. It's bigger than anything I would have wanted, but believe me when I say, it has grown on me, and if my wife was happy, I was happy."

"Hmm," I said nodding my head. "Lisa didn't buy that did she?"

"No," he said laughing, "and neither did Greg."

"But don't let that paint a picture of Nancy," he continued, turning his attention back to his grill. "Lisa didn't like her even when we got married."

"Did Greg and Lisa...were they married before you?"

"Seriously dating, but not married. They got engaged a little after my wedding."

"Interesting."

"Don't get me wrong, Lisa was family the minute Greg brought her home to introduce her to us. She's been like a sister to me from the moment I met her."

"Sweet," I said smiling. "That smells really good."

"Yeah?" He asked, flipping yet another burger. "They'll be done here in a few minutes."

"Good," I said standing and brushing the grass off of the seat of my pants. "Where is Gracie?"

"Putting on her swimsuit."

"Yeah, but that should have taken, like, 2 minutes."

"Not Gracie," Nathan said, finally placing a few burgers on a plate. "That girl tries on at least 15 of the 20 she owns, before deciding which one she will actually wear. She'll be down in a few minutes."

Sure enough, I saw Gracie rounding the corner, a teal chevron printed swimsuit encasing her little body, her tawny hair released from the constraints of her ballet bun. "Ready!" she announced.

"Good!" Nathan answered back, placing the burgers on a small wicker coffee table, surrounded by comfy patio chairs. "Who's hungry?"