Chapter Three

What do you think?" I asked Gracie, showing her the outfit I had put on that morning.

"Very pretty," she said nodding her head.

I ran a nervous hand over the sweater I had donned that morning. I turned a couple of times to see the outfit.  The sweater was white with blue stripes and khaki shorts.  I felt that I looked pretty normal for once, and I actually felt like I looked like one of the preppy girls I had gone to school with in high school. Particularly since I let my hair hang loose.

"Ellie?"

I turned to face Gracie, who was still sitting on my bed, a curious expression on her face. "Yeah, sweetie?"

"Why... do yous keep turning?"

"To see how I look."

"Well, stop," she said, donning a dramatic look on her little face, "It's making me dizzy."

I laughed, as she gripped her head and shook it side to side. "Sure thing kiddo."

Nathan left for work at 7:00 on the dot every morning. He told me he would leave a list of things to do every morning on the kitchen. "If you can't read it, I'm sorry, "he smiled apologetically."Usually I'm in a hurry, just ignore it and ask me tonight."

I took a final look and a deep breath. "Alright Gracie, what do you say we go get Abby, have breakfast and see what's number one on our list?"

"She jumped off my bed and pushed her messy hair out of her face-first thing might actually be to dress the children- and proceeded to place her hands on her hips. "I think that sounds like a great idea."

"Alright. "

I followed Gracie first into her own room, where we selected a light pink shirt and white overalls ensemble for the day, and cute white sandals. She twirled and twirled, squealing over her outfit.

But that stopped once I pulled out the hairbrush.

"Do I have to has my hair brushed?" she asked, a grimace on her face. "

"Yes. It's necessary. "

"What does 'necessary' mean?" she asked settling onto the bench in front of the mirror. "

"It means you have to," I answered brushing out her hair.

"Hmph."

I laughed silently to myself and continued brushing, which led a an assortment of "ows" and ouches, and "are yous done yet?"

"There", I said, pleased with my work. "What do you think?"

"She turned her head, and looking all sorts of ways at her braids. "I likes it, she finally announced.

I smiled, pleased to have the stamp of approval from a toddler. "Great! Let's go get Abby."

We dressed Abby and I followed Gracie down the stairs into the kitchen. It was stunningly clean, with stainless steel appliances and white cabinets and cupboards topped with marble. "Hmm, very clean," I murmured.

"Can I has cereal this morning?"

"Sure kiddo. "

I poured Gracie a small bowl of cereal and placed it atop the counter and strapped Abby into her high chair.

"Come on Abby, it's just bananas."

"Sometimes she just doesn't eat," Gracie commented from her seat as she finished her bowl of cereal. " Sometimes she isn't hungry untils lunchtime. But if we's force her," here, a dramatic pause as she turned to look at me with a her little eyebrow raised," she will throw up."

I nodded, slowly putting the cap back on her food, and getting up to place it in the fridge. "Good to know."

I took Gracie's bowl and rinsed it out in the sink, before placing it in the dishwasher. I picked up the list from Nathan and skipped the first three on the list, considering I really couldn't read it. The first word I managed to decipher was groceries. Well that would be fun, the 3 other words, besides the ones I could not read, explained a 6 month check-up for Abby, (I'll get there around four so you don't endure the first one by yourself-H) Ballet class for Gracie, and then dinner at 6:30. Nathan left a small comment underneath Explaining that asking Gracie usually meant mashed potatoes. Sure enough:

"Hey Grace, What sounds good for dinner?"

"Mashed potatoes."

I laughed quietly. "Is your dance bag ready to go?"

She hurriedly scrambled off her seat and scurried up the stairs.

I unstrapped Abby who was napping contently in her high chair, her head resting against the padded sides.

Gracie came running back down with her bubblegum pink backpack, straps slung across both shoulders. "Ready."

I smiled grabbing the list I had jotted a few items down on. Picking up my purse, with the keys inside, I smiled. "Let's go."