Chapter Nineteen

We packed up the girls the next day. Gracie, bouncing on the balls of her feet, a smile of pure glee etched on her face.

Nathan's mother came, exchanging grand pleasantries with her son and his children that only a mother and grandmother can exhibit. She had smiled at me- a neutral one, neither warm nor cold- as I packed the girls into the car and their bags into her trunk.

We stood on the porch, waving and blowing kisses goodbye as they drove off. I'd be lying if I said that there were not tears shed from my eyes as they drove away. Those girls had become my life, and I had a hard time watching them leave, even if it was just for a week.

Nathan wrapped his arms around me, pressing a kiss to the top of my head. "It'll pass by before you know it."

"I know, "I sniffed, wiping the tears that dripped down my face, "I know."

He gave me a light squeeze, as I leaned back into his chest, my hands resting atop his.

"You ready for this week?"

I smiled, resting my head and closing my eyes. "Bring it on."

*******
We kept ourselves fairly entertained throughout the week, with a nerf gun battle the first night after he got home from work. I lost, but for the record, he cheated. After all, who calls a time-out, gives a kiss hello, and then shoots their opponent?

We usually settled in the movie room after dinner, watching our favorites first (While you Were Sleeping and Casino Royale) Then classics(Pride and Prejudice and Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark) and then mutual favorites{Star Wars, Harry Potter, more Indiana Jones and any Superhero movie), with conversations about the composers and the music in all the films.

While he was at work, I kept myself entertained with the amount of books Nathan kept stocked on the bookshelves in his office. except for the nerf war day, the last two he had come home to find me completely engrossed in whatever I was reading and hadn't even heard him come in.

Wednesday night he proposed the idea of a date.

"What?"

"When a guy likes a girl," he sighed teasingly, "like a lot..."

"Shut up," I laughed, throwing a pillow at him. "I know what a date is."

He grabbed ahold of my wrists, pulling me toward him and planting a kiss on my forehead. "So what do you say?"

I sighed contently, leaning into his chest. "What would this date entail?"

"Well, he said, arms pulling me close, "Breakfast, picnic, a shopping trip, then dinner and a show."

"You have thought this through."

"I have."

"It'd be a shame to let all that go to waste."

'Is that a yes?"

"It's a yes."

*******
He took me the next morning to a cute little cafe called Kneaders, where the french toast was amazing and the company even more so.

He wouldn't tell me what the evening entailed, only that I needed a evening dress, so to a little boutique we went, where I modeled probably every dress in the store, however the assistant and I decided on one he hadn't seen, which she packed up nicely and met us at the register with.

'Which one did you pick?"

"That," I answered, carefully placing the garment bag over my arm, "is for me to know, and you to find out."

He chuckled, wrapping an arm around my waist, as we exited the boutique.

He took me on a picnic to the park, where we enjoyed the passing clouds in the sky and pointed out the various shapes and a debate on what they most closely resembled.

It was a perfect afternoon.

******
"Honey lets go! We're going to be late!"

I adjusted my earrings one last time, taking a deep breath and opening the door. "You ready?"

"I've been ready."

I rolled my eyes slightly. "Close your eyes."

"Alright."

I stepped out slowly, holding the skirt up slightly while chanting silently don't trip, don't trip.

He stood at the end of the hall, in that gray 3 piece, eyes closed, a slight smile on his face.

I caught a glimpse of myself in Gracie's mirror, and stopped for a moment. How quickly my life had changed.

I walked over to where Nathan was standing, and brushed a kiss across his cheek.

"Can I open now?"

"Yes," I laughed.

His eyes opened, a breath of surprise escaping his lips. "Wow."

His fingers grasped the dark green skirt, as his eyes took in everything else.

"Is that a good wow?" I asked softly, fingering the lacy short sleeved top of my dress.

He leaned forward, pressing a kiss to my lips. "You look breathtaking."

I smiled, kissing him again. "You aren't so bad yourself."

He grinned, offering me his arm. "Shall we?"

At dinner, I noticed the small smile that kept returning to his face, his gaze never leaving my face.

"Penny for your thoughts."

He gave a contented sigh, that smile returning. "You just look... so incredibly beautiful."

I blushed at that, which only made his smile bigger.

We walked from the restaurant to our last destination of the night, walking past Temple Square and headed towards the music hall.

I stopped for a moment, grabbing his arm. "Are we going to the symphony?"

He smiled, pulling two tickets out of jacket pocket. "It's a Night with John Williams. After all the movies we watched and all our conversations about music, how could I not?"

"You are amazing," I whispered, sliding my arm through his as we continued walking.

"So are you."

******
"That was unbelievable," I said as we climbed into bed later that night.

"It really was," He agreed pulling me close to him. "So I take it you had a good time?"

I hummed in agreement, pressing a kiss to his jaw. "Thank you for today."

"Thank you for saying yes," he murmured, kissing the top of my head.

We laid there in silence for a moment, slowly drifting off to sleep.

"Nathan?"

"Hmm."

"Are you humming the Imperial March?"

The vibrations from his chest stopped against my ear.

"Maybe."

I laughed snuggling in closer. "Sweet dreams Darth Vader."