Chapter 4

"I will take a brief stop here. I don't know the demons fighting in my stomach." Uncle Braddle exclaimed, squeezing his face, as soon as we got off the train at the terminus. The tightening of his face gave the impression that something was actually battling within him, and I grinned wryly at how comical he appeared.

"We will wait here for you. Samantha, are you sure you are okay?" My father asked with raised eyebrows.

"I'm fine, although my legs are tired." I was extremely worn out from the journey. My steps were almost wobbly. I have never gone on such a lengthy journey before.

"I will not take so long. Bear with me." Uncle Braddle reassured me with a tap on my shoulder. He helped Father move the luggage close to the waiting chair, where we would sit and then dashed off to the restroom to help himself.

They call this station the East Station in Flourish City Father remarked. I noticed the sign as soon as we stepped off the train. The station was nothing like the station in Fortune Town, which seemed way busier. Maybe as a result of Fortune Town having just one station. I heard there were many stations here in Flourish City.
I sat exhausted on the long seat, so close to my father. I wrapped my hand around his and rested my head on his shoulders.

"You will get used to this in no time. I asked far and near, and overall, a train ride seemed to be the best route to Flourish City from Fortune Town." Father assured me.

I did not know if Father was telling the truth or not, but I overheard him discussing with Mother using the train in place of the chauffeured ride that Lord Bradson had arranged. But I do not mind; I think they know what is best for me.

"I hope you did not forget anything," my father uttered, stroking my hair gently.

"None that I know of, father."

"I hope you took the scroll."

"Yes, father."

"It is for your consumption alone. Ensure that you lock it somewhere private."

"You have said that many times." I suppressed a chuckle because my body was in an uncomfortable position. I was curious as to why he kept reminding me to read the scroll.

Uncle Braddle came back a few minutes later with a cheerful face. His stomach no longer seemed to be filled with demons. My thoughts were filled with laughter.

"We will get a cab that will take us to the address. Give me the address, Joe." He calls my father by his first name, as he should. The only reason it feels awkward to me is that I occasionally forget they are siblings. Father gave him a piece of paper with the address written on it.

They grabbed my bags, and Uncle Braddle led us out of the station. The city was much busier than I expected; it looked exactly like it did in movies I'd seen, if not better. People walked past us with the least concern. Uncle Braddle flagged down a taxi.

"24, Upper Left Eastwood Street"

"Hop in, it's 20 bucks," said the driver in a raspy voice while chewing gum.

Uncle Braddle tossed the bags into the booth without hesitating, and we all followed his cue to get into the car.

I'm now experiencing a rapid heartbeat from nervousness. It has dawned on me that I will soon be far from home and without the company of any of my family members.

I leaned back in the car seat and bowed my head slightly. Father and Uncle Braddle were talking about the city, but I wasn't paying attention to what they were saying because my mind was so far away.

It seemed like we were taking an eternity to get to our destination. I looked out the car window, appreciating the urban landscape. It was already dark when we arrived in Flourish, even though we had left early.

I was startled as the car came to an abrupt stop.

"Are you sure this is the address?" I heard Uncle Braddle asking the driver.

"Sure. This is Upper Left Eastwood, and that is the house number." The driver replied, pointing to the address on the lamppost in front of the house.

"All right. Thanks."

My father handed him the 20 bucks, and he waited for them to offload.

After they unloaded my bags, we strolled to the front door of the residence. Only carefully arranged flowers encircled the house; there were no gates. All of the houses were identical, the streets were well-lit during the night, and the houses sat orderly. Uncle Braddle rang the doorbell twice before we could hear footsteps approaching. A woman who was heavily pregnant opened the door. A lock chain prevented the door from swinging wide open, even though I could still see her huge bump through the slight opening.

"Is this Mr and Mrs Pearson's place?" Uncle Braddle inquired politely.

"Goodness gracious! We have been expecting her." The woman exclaimed, looking in my direction as though my father and Uncle Braddle were invisible. "That must be her. She truly is as white as snow."

As I was fixating on her enormous bump, my father spoke softly to me, as if he could sense my thoughts.

"Lord Bradson chose an expectant parent because he wants you to experience what it is like to cater to a child. It will help you prepare better for motherhood."

I wasn't sure whether to be happy or sad. My shoulders slumped as he whispered.

"Come on in. I am Mrs Pearson, and you are very welcome to my humble home."

I didn't know what to make of the moment. I dragged my feet along while maintaining a cheerful demeanor. She gently poked my skin and smiled sheepishly. The house was warm and quiet. It wasn't anything like our house in Fortune Town. It had a more minimalistic, modern appearance.

"Make yourselves comfortable. You must be Mr Maurice," she assumed as she stared inquisitively at Father.

"Yes, Mrs Pearson, and this is my brother, Mr Braddle."

"Oh, nice to meet you too, Mr Braddle."

"You have such a beautiful house," Father remarked.

"Oh, this is what we can afford for now; thank you. I hope Samantha likes it. And you have such a beautiful daughter. I know she must have heard it a lot of times," she said, turning in my direction.

"Make yourselves comfortable; sit anywhere you prefer."

I continued to awkwardly grip my bag as I continued to take everything in gradually.
"Let me help you," Mrs Pearson offered, taking the bag from my hand. "I will put this in your room. I hope you will like your room. Mr Pearson took his time to decorate it." She explained delightfully as she hurried out of the sitting room, leaving us all behind.

"Braddle, we must make haste so that we can get on the train before they leave."

I overheard Uncle Braddle mention that he had already made arrangements for them to be able to return in a passenger car on the freight train while we were coming. Given that they were unwilling to spend the night in Flourish, it appeared to be their best option, despite the cost.

As soon as I heard their conversation, I muttered, "I thought you would stay," even though I knew the outcome.

"We cannot stay, Samantha. We made arrangements to travel back by freight train this night. You must pull yourself together and get used to this. Call us or send messages if there is anything you want us to help with. I know you will be fine, my dear Samantha," Father said calmly. It appeared as though he was attempting to conceal his feelings from me.

I could feel tears building up in my eyes. I did not say a word. I shifted my gaze away from them and toward the fireplace. Mrs Pearson returned a few minutes later, and they prepared to leave.