Chapter 2

Grandma Lucy is lying feebly on her bed in her stuffy room, which smells like a cave. It is not her doing, I know. She has urinary incontinence now, and no matter how hard her carer cleans her up, I still perceive the ammonia smell whenever I enter her room. I don't mind, though, because my sweet grandma has captured my heart with all of her hilarious tales.
She is well-versed in almost all natural remedies for minor ailments, and she teaches me how to care for my feet in my own time. Every time I try to attempt one of those homemade remedies, my mother chastises me and tells me it's just for show and that I'm not meant to try out homemade concoctions on my own. Grandma believes so much in her recipes, and she tells them to me passionately. Maybe I will try them out now that I am going to be all by myself in Flourish City.
I've got everything ready, dressed nicely, and am kneeling down to receive blessings from Grandma Lucy before I depart. I held on to my little penguin toy, which I have a special attachment to. I hold it tight whenever I am experiencing pseudo-anxiety tics, especially when people stare at me for a very long time. It makes me sick and anxious to see people staring at me whenever I pass by. Although I appear to have outgrown those times, I still cannot leave my little penguin behind.
"Samantha, you are ready to leave your grandma?" Grandma asked as she slowly raised her body to sit up. She doesn't require assistance or support for anything related to moving around, and I'm not sure where her strength comes from considering her age.
"I am going to study how to take care of the home better, grandma."
"I know; your father told me about it. Lord Bradson said he wants you to complete college."
I nodded in affirmation.
"I learned his family is so brilliant, and he doesn't want you to miss out on education."
"I know, grandma." I continued to follow each response with a nod.
"I hope you understand that you're going there to be educated and nothing else."
"I am aware of that, grandma."
Although I have assured them all that I am aware of what I am supposed to do in Flourish, I do have moments when I doubt myself and my ability to persevere. I'm not sure whether it would be the same in Flourish City, but boys in Fortune town don't approach Loanas for a romantic relationship of any kind. If ever it is discovered, what they so desired, the betrothed billionaire could make the boy's life miserable for the rest of his life. It is the dark side of being a Loana that I avoid thinking about.
Other than my family, I have never known what it's like to love a living thing so deeply. My parents have assured me that the guardians Mr Bradson has chosen for me have been thoroughly vetted and trained to care for me. I am unable to live on campus because I might socialize excessively with people that they would prefer that I not.
"Samantha!" I could hear Jack calling in a distant voice. He must have come back from the errand our father sent him. He must be panting and praying he didn't miss the opportunity to bid me farewell in person.
"I have to go, grandma; take care of yourself."
I embraced her tightly, and she kissed my forehead. She placed a locket in my hand. She is trying so hard not to cry, but I can still see the tears in her eyes. I will miss Grandma terribly, but I must follow my fate.
I could hear Jack's voice approaching, continually screaming my name along the hallway. I uttered a thank-you to Grandma and stood up to leave.
"Big Mama Lucy, I will be back during the holiday," I assured her.
"May the heavens protect you, my child."
With a warm smile on my lips, I slowly closed the door and kept staring at her while she sat on her bed until she was out of sight. I sighed heavily.
I felt a gentle tap on my shoulders, and I flinched. It was Jack. He hugged me tightly, as if he had just discovered me after many years.
"I thought you had gone, Samantha."
"There is no way I could have gone without saying a proper goodbye. I thought Father promised you that he would not send you too far anyway."
Jack shrugged his shoulders.
"I cannot trust Father so well because he might even forget he sent me somewhere. I ran the errand with the speed of light, though."
I chuckled because I understood where Jack was heading. There are moments when his relationship with our father is strained. Truly, Jack is as stubborn as a goat. He hardly listens, and sometimes I am driven to give him a hard knock on the head. All the same, he's a very happy boy, and we could easily pass for twins because he's only a year older than me.
"I love your dress. You look so beautiful as always." Jack complimented.
I smiled. Laura's mother makes the most beautiful dresses, and she made the dress for me as a parting gift. I have fallen so easily in love with it. It's a yellow dress that's been elegantly embellished and comes with a matching headband.
Laura has been my playmate since I was a child, and I am sad that I will not see her again until I return. I am sure she must be getting ready to see me off at the train station. Father says we have to leave early because it's going to be a long ride.
"Hey, are you scared?" Jack asked directly.
I do not even know the response to this question. I am strong physically, but deep down, I am sure that I have a cold foot.
"I don't think I am scared. Maybe I will be scared later if things do not go the way I think, but not now."
"It is good for you to relieve your spirit of any fear. I know the life over there will be as good. Although sometimes I wonder why Lord Bradson insists you travel all the way to Flourish City for college, He probably doesn't think there is any college to his taste in this Fortune town."
"I think so too. If he thinks Flourish City is best for me, why not Flourish City? But I do not have any better choice, do I?"
"Who says so? You can always contend that if you feel it will not be the best for you, then Father will send him words to reconsider another college."
"Greg promises that I will love Flourish College. He said it is the best in the city, and I may even be so carried away that I may decide not to come home again."
They both giggled at the thought of her last statement.
"Well, if he says so, I am not a wide reader like him, who reads about everything, so he should know better."
"I saw Uncle Braddle on my way. It must be almost time for you to leave."
"Yes. It is. I am waiting for my father to call me. Meanwhile, let me go and see my mama bear before it is too late."
I call my mother Mama Bear. I read it in stories when I was still little, and since then, the name Mama Bear has stuck to my mouth, so I hardly call her mother.
"I know she has packed heaven and earth for you. I hope she survives this phase," Jack stated, reminding me that my mother has been cold since the news came that I would be traveling for college.
But how would she not survive this phase? She is the strongest woman I know.