Diseases and dreams 😵‍💫💤

Click! Click! Creak.

I turned my attention to my mother, seeing that she had just returned from work.

My mother, what a sweet person.

Tick!

Her eyes seemed glazed over, what had happened?

"Welcome home, Mom!"

I looked at her with the warmest smile I could muster, hoping to bring her at least a fraction of the comfort she brought me. She merely gazed in my direction, giving me a clear view of her face.

Her sickly skin, her dark under eyes, her visible cheekbones, Her once warm hands she used to cradle me now bony and cold. All of these features show that her disease had been eating away at her stamina. The contrast between them created an image that I feared. And I feared it because it appeared as if she had already passed.

Odd.

Tick!

My mother didn't respond. It felt like she wasn't there. But the tension dwelled.

Seeing that she wasn't going to respond, I walked back into the hall to ask jeongin about our mother's state. Weirdly enough, as I turned my back to her I felt a cold shiver up my spine.

The floorboards creaked at each step I took. The wallpaper seemed to be peeling off the walls while dust seemed to coat every surface How had this house been holding up? It seemed as if it's been abandoned for years!

Tick!

I finally found my way to Jeongin's door. Normally, I'd enter as I please but this time, it was...different? Something told me to not enter...but did I ever listen? I took a deep breath before knocking on his door. "Jeongin?" I said with a slightly loud voice. No response. I knock again, harder this time. "Jeongin!" I said louder. He still hadn't responded. At this point I started calling out his name, fearing for the worse.

When he didn't answer back I started to calm down. Maybe he was ignoring me? The apartment building we were living in didn't have any windows in the bedrooms so he certainly didn't do anything risky. 'Yeah, he's probably asleep. I shouldn't be creating such a fuss.' I looked back towards my end of the hall. 'I should probably be asleep too, shouldn't I?'

Tick!

My hand slipped off of his door as I turned back to my section of the hall. This hall...

It doesn't feel the same.

Well, it's not like it mattered right? I have my family under the same roof as me, all of us safe and sound.

Ert! The springs of my old mattress squeaked as I laid onto my bed. The faded glow-in-the-dark stars on my ceiling providing an innate safety that couldn't explain. The safety that my father had given me all those years ago when he helped me stick them on when I was six. Back when we were perfect. At least I believed we were.

There was all the familiarity's I grew acquainted with...but...

'Something isn't right.'

TICK!

A loud thump came from the living room, or what I assumed it to be. I quickly jumped off of my squeaky mattress and scrambled to get there as fast as I could.

Finally I did, but the sight was truly out of my worst nightmares. My mother was disheveled, appearing like she was just a skeleton wrapped in plastic wrap like skin. But even more horrifying than that, she seemed to be laying there, clearly dying. Looking like she was going through every stage a dead body has before it's nothing.