𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑𝟒 • 𝔸 𝕗𝕝𝕒𝕞𝕖 𝕣𝕖𝕚𝕘𝕟𝕚𝕥𝕖𝕕

Začít od začátku

"The people you rule over love you. There was a moment when Queen Leyti was loved by her people. But as time passed, she came to expect and even demand that love instead of earning it. She wants so desperately to be seen as a hero that she has become the villain of her own country as a result. From what I have heard, you have never demanded love from your people. You care for them, otkazat'sya or Grisha, and they pay you respect in return. You have many followers in Shu Han, not just me, and we don't care that you are young or inexperienced. We care that you care about everyone you meet."

        I sit there in shock, unsure of what to say.

        "Alina, you can't die in here. We need you out there. All of us need you. Especially now since we are going into the final battle."

        "What?" I croak. "What do you mean, the final battle?"

        His eyes grow wide as if he forgot that no one has spoken to me for days besides him. He licks his lips and says, "Queen Leyti is mobilizing her troops. She sent a message to Ravka's King. 'If he wants his precious summoner back, he must fight for her.' They are marching to your capital city, and they plan to burn it to the ground."

        My stomach lurches. "This war was supposed to be over once I surrendered! I was what Queen Leyti wanted, not Ravka."

León glances at me sadly, then back at the door, listening to ensure no one is coming. "As I said, she wants to be seen as a hero. Winning a war would get her there."

"We cannot let her get to Os Alta."

León glimmers with elation. "So does that mean—"

"Yes. Though I am not entirely sure I can be the Saint you think I am, I will fight."

        He pushes off the table and reassumes a military stance. "I have never called you a saint, have I? I have called you by what you are: a Queen. Don't let Queen Leyti make you anything less than that."

        I feel like a flame had been reignited in me. My power suddenly crackles beneath my skin with anticipation, wanting to be let free after so long of not using it.

"Duck down."

"Duck?" he questions.

He gulps and hugs the floor as I summon a blade of light in my hands and send it toward the door. The Cut tears the wood in half with a loud crack.

"W–what was that for?" he asks. "The door was unlocked."

"It will look like I forced my way out so you are not interrogated for unlocking it. You should go so they do not find you here with me."

"Oh," he says. "That is a nice sentiment, but I do not fear my punishment. My loyalty no longer lies with Queen Leyti. I will not fight alongside you in secret anymore."

"Are you sure?" I ask. "There is a possibility that we might not make it."

"I'm sure, Sun Queen."

I hesitate, then give a single nod and step out onto the platform leading to a spiral stairwell.

"León, why was there never a soldier guarding that door?" I ask out of curiosity.

He walks through the split wooden frame and says, "They knew you had given up hope. There was no need for one."

I nod solemnly. "Well, I have hope now, thanks to you."

He smiles briefly. Then, we begin tearing down the staircase as fast as we can. It is likely that someone heard the door break. Our time frame to slip away is narrowing. I attempt to quiet my footsteps as we near the bottom. I slow when I spot a guard at the entrance to the staircase leading to a large foyer. León leans in and whispers, "That was my post to guard. Someone must have noticed I left and took over. They at least know of my absence, so we must tread lightly."