Chapter 6

ANNTONIA'S POINT OF VIEW

The morning sunlight seeped through the curtains, casting a gentle glow in the room. Blinking away the remnants of sleep, I became acutely aware of the warmth beside me. Confusion clouded my mind for a moment until the events of the previous night flooded back.

I turned to see Michelle peacefully sleeping beside me. It took a moment for me to register the proximity, the closeness that seemed both foreign and oddly comforting. A jolt of realization hit me—I had woken up snuggled against her neck. Panic surged through me as I sat up abruptly, my heart pounding in my chest.

I quickly assessed the situation, my mind racing. Were we still in our clothes? Was anything more than an almost-kiss attempted? A hasty glance confirmed that we were fully clothed, and a wave of relief washed over me.

As I grappled with the memories of the previous night, Michelle stirred, her eyes fluttering open. She looked at me with a sleepy smile, her gaze filled with concern. "Hey, morning. You feeling okay?"

I nodded, my voice a bit hoarse. "Yeah, just... processing the night, I guess."

Michelle sat up, running a hand through her tousled hair. "Hangover kicking in, huh? I found some medicine in the kitchen. You want some?"

I hummed in response, still trying to wrap my head around the fact that Michelle was here, in my apartment, after the unexpected turn of events. She got off the bed, and I couldn't help but feel a strange mix of emotions—a lingering embarrassment and an unspoken desire to understand what this meant for our friendship.

While Michelle rummaged in the kitchen, I took a moment to collect my thoughts. Last night's attempted kiss and now waking up snuggled next to her—it was a lot to process. Did Michelle feel the same way? Was this friendship about to change into something more?

She returned with a glass of water and a couple of pain relievers. Handing them to me, she spoke gently, "Here you go. This should help with the hangover."

"Thanks," I mumbled, taking the medicine and washing it down with the water.

Michelle sat on the edge of the bed, her eyes filled with a mix of curiosity and understanding. "So, about last night..."

I sighed, bracing myself for the conversation that was inevitable. "Yeah, about that. I'm sorry if I made things weird."

Michelle chuckled, a reassuring smile on her face. "Things get a little weird sometimes. No harm done. We're both adults."

Embarrassment still lingered, but I appreciated her nonchalant approach. "True. I just didn't expect... all of that."

She grinned, her eyes twinkling with amusement. "Life's full of surprises, isn't it? Now, spill. What are you thinking?"

I hesitated, searching for the right words. "I guess I'm trying to figure out what it all means. Our friendship, the almost-kiss, waking up like this."

Michelle's expression softened, and she reached out to give my hand a reassuring squeeze. "Anntonia, we can talk about it. Whatever you're feeling, it's okay."

I nodded, grateful for her understanding. "I just don't want things to be weird between us."

She smiled, her gaze sincere. "Things might be a bit different, but it doesn't have to be weird. We'll navigate this together, okay?"

I sighed, a sense of relief washing over me. "Okay, together."

As we sat there, the morning light casting a warm glow, I couldn't predict where this newfound understanding would lead us. But with Michelle by my side, ready to face whatever challenges lay ahead, I felt a comforting reassurance that our friendship, though altered, had the resilience to evolve into something even more profound.