7. Of Dementors and Quidditch Debuts!

It was 5 in the morning when Hermione was returning from Owlery after sending a few things to her parents that she had bought from Hogsmeade, for them, when she saw a worn-out Professor Lupin, trying to ward off the dementors with a spell, she recognized as Patronus, even though all Lupin could conjure was miserable mist.

"Expecto Patronum!" She tried to produce the patronus to help the professor, which unfortunately was as miserable as the professor's. She cursed herself for not perfecting the charm. Suddenly she remembered what she and Harry had discussed about the charm they had developed on their first date.

'We can always test them on dementors!' Harry had said, which meant it may work on Dementors as they were dark creatures. Rapidly waving her wand in the shape of 3/4th of Infinity and following it with a stab she loudly called out "Pilum Lucidus!"

A Bright silvery javelin was launched from her wand at astonishing speed and pierced one of the dementors in its chest. The dementor screeched in agony and continued to do so until the light javelin fizzled out. Unfortunately, the dementors now recognized her as a bigger threat than Lupin and advanced on her. Hermione felt cold and she started to hear a loud hissing sound which made all the hair on her skin stand. She knew she was facing one of her worst memories. The loud hiss were followed by a pair of big yellow eyes, she saw in a compact mirror and then darkness.

Lupin got the moment he needed to calm himself enough to bring out the patronus memory. Determination filled his amber eyes as he intoned "Expecto Patronum!", and a large silvery wolf jumped out of it and started running through the dementors. The dementors started to screech and run away from the site. Lupin immediately held Hermione, stabilizing her and took her to the Hospital wing, all while offering chocolates to her.

"Eat them, Miss Granger, they will help."

Hermione nodded gratefully as she accepted the chocolate and ate them, "Thank You, professor. For helping me. It was awful."

Lupin shook his head "It's me who needs to thank you, Miss Granger. While I am sure, I would have tackled the dementors, you were a great help. Take 50 points for Ravenclaw. And I am sure Professor Flitwick would be delighted to hear more about the charm you used."

Hermione ducked her head, blushing for the praise she received.

"Thank you, professor. And it was just a modification of the 'Lumos' charm, me and Harry developed. I remembered him saying that it may be effective against dark creatures, so I used it. Fortunately, it worked when it was needed."

"Well, then you should be proud of yourself. Although I would suggest caution, spell modification may be dangerous sometimes." Lupin smiled at the most brilliant witch of her generation.

It was then, a worried Harry barged into the Hospital wing.

"Hermione, are you alright? I heard students talking about you having an encounter with dementors. I was worried about you. I will make Fudge pay for his idiocy; I promise. And I will also teach you the Patronus charm and-"

Hermione knew just one way to shut him up and did so by placing her lips on his "I am alright Harry. Professor Lupin helped me."

Harry whirled around to see Lupin looking at both of them with a smile on his face. Harry had a grateful look on his face while Hermione had gone red when she realized, she had nearly snogged Harry in front of a professor.

"Professor, thank you for looking out for Hermione. I am in your debt. If you ever want-"

Lupin cut him off "Mr. Potter, there is no need for that. I am a professor and looking after my students is part of the job description."