Twenty-Seven

We arrive at the Capitol's grand party, and I must say it's exotic. I have never seen or dreamt of anything like this. Everyone is dressed up in bizarre and colorful clothing. My designer team, dressed me up in a black, mock neck cutout dress. The dress is sleeveless and there are criss cross cutouts on both sides of my dress, so I can't wear underwear or it'll ruin the look. The cutouts run from my thighs up to my rib cage. The dress looks very sexy and makes me look like a mysterious foreigner. My hair is down and they put a couple of braids in it to remind people of who I really am. Instead of wearing heels, they have me wear flat sandals with diamonds that run up my calves. I am quite impressed with what they created.

The party is also quite mesmerizing. They have people dancing in cages, people posing as statues, people dancing with large snakes, and there's fire everywhere. Marsali told me this was the party of the year. Anyone who is anyone will be here and it's important for me to play nice and make connections. Coriolanus is with me and he is wearing a black suit with a red necktie. My arms are around his his, like usual, which I absolutely love doing. It still makes me feel like I'm his, even though we aren't out.

"Would you like to dance?" Coriolanus asks me, with a devishly handsome smile.

"I would love to, Mr. Snow." I reply, happily.

We walk on to the dance floor and he spins me around right away. We dance together for most of the night. My hands feeling his strong biceps and firm hands. I love when he has his hands around my waist. The night feels magical and I have never felt happier. This feels right to me, this is the kind of life I want for myself; to feel joy.

A short man I've never met before walks up to us and asks to speak to Coriolanus. Coriolanus seems resistant and upset, but does leave with this man. I walk off of the dance floor and grab myself a drink. Everyone here is having a good time and I could see why.

An older, black woman with gray hair, wearing a red and white dress walks up to me.

"Hello, my dear, it's nice to finally meet you. My name is Dr. Gaul." She reaches her hand out for me to shake.

I shake her hand, instantly knowing who she is. I remember seeing her with Daniel.

"It's a pleasure to finally meet you." I say, making polite small talk. Even though I know this woman is pure evil and wants to make Coriolanus her minion.

"Are you enjoying yourself? The Capitol's parties are usually quite exquisite."

"Actually I am. This is a once in a lifetime experience." I say.

She chuckles a little bit. "Oh but it doesn't have to. And you are our victor, you will be at these parties for the rest of your life. Plus, a little birdy told me about you and Coriolanus."

My stomach drops and I stare at her, pleading to not ruin us. I should've known Marsali would choose capitol over district.

"Oh don't blame, Marsali. She was just doing her job." Dr. Gaul replied.

"Coriolanus and I are in love and want to be together." I say.

"Oh, what about Eric? Your engagement?" She asks.

"You and I both know it was for the show." I say, bitter.

She laughs, amused. "Oh yes dear, I know. But you see, the viewers loved it. The views went up, so the money went up. We made quite a profit from your games. But you see, if you call off the engagement, views might go down."

"What if the views skyrocket because of the forbidden love between mentor and victor? Wouldn't the people love that?" I ask, challenging her.

"Possibly. You may be right, however, I know I'm right with what we're doing now."

"What can I do to change your mind?" I ask.

"Well there is one thing you can do to make up for the profit I would lose..."

"And what is that?" I ask, knowing I don't like where this is going.

"Well there are many people from the Capitol who would love a night with you."

The pure amount of disgust that enters my body.

"You want me to prostitute myself?" I ask, angrily.

"Call it what you will. But this is the price you have to pay if you want to be with Mr. Snow."

"And if I say, no?"

"Well then say goodbye to Mr. Snow. Because you can't have it all, my dear. If you reject my proposal, then you will need to end things with Mr. Snow and hop on a train, leaving the Capitol."

Everything comes with a price. Am I willing to make this price? Sell myself, so I can be with Coriolanus? I should've know this monster would come up with something so cruel. To know that I wouldn't just be giving my body to Coriolanus, I would be giving it to any person of the capitol who asks. I feel sick.

Dr. Gaul walks away from me, knowing how disturbed I am. I look up and see Coriolanus walk up to me.

I have a choice to make.

He smiles at me. "Sorry I had to leave you, I had business to settle."

Tears start to flood my eyes. "I can't do this."

"Do what?" He asks, confused. "Do you want to head back to our penthouse?"

"No, I want to go home."

I start to walk away and Coriolanus grabs my arm. "I'm confused. What happened? Did something happen?"

I pull my arm away from him. "I can't do all this. This isn't me. I can't be with you. I can't have this life."

I see the hurt in his eyes and it kills me.

I turn around walking away, leaving the party. I head back to the penthouse and grab my things I didn't even unpack. I head to the train station and pay for a ticket. I sit on the bench outside, waiting for the train to come. It's still dark out, but I see a faint light in the distance. I hear the birds singing their tunes, knowing that morning approaches. Knowing that this decision will haunt me for the rest of my life.