Eleven

Eric is walking on stage. I don't understand why he would be here instead of my mother. I stare at the screen, wishing it wasn't him. I hear the crowd clapping and whistling. I already know he's loving this. He takes a seat next to Caesar Flickerman, who is hosting the hunger games for the first time. It was his father before that.

"Give it up for, Eric Pierce!" Caesar yells.

The crowd goes wild again and I can tell they're fawning over him. And of course Eric is giving into it, smiling and waving to the crowd.

"So Mr. Pierce, please do tell us your relationship to Ashe Barrette."

"Well she was my girlfriend back in district 12," Eric smiles.

I can hear all the ooohs in the crowd.

"You say, 'was' your girlfriend. What happened there?" Caesar asks, curious.

"Well I messed up. I messed up big time."

"Messed up, how?" Caesar asks intrigued.

"I cheated on her and I heavily regret it. She's the most amazing person I know and it makes me sad knowing I hurt her like that."

Caesar does a little fake gasp and leans in closer to him. "Mr. Pierce, what made you cheat on a beautiful woman like that?"

"We were to be married and it scared me."

The crowd goes nuts and Caesar has a shocked look in his face. "Married? Wow. That is quite a commitment."

"Yeah it's a huge commitment."

"What would you say to her now if you could?"

Eric looks up at the camera, staring at the screen, staring right into me. "My love, I'm so sorry for the heartache I put you through. Every time I look up at the stars I think of the many nights we laid outside staring at them together. I see you every morning when the sun rises and every night when the sun sets. I see you in the stream next to our town, where we were to wed. I love you with all my heart and I want you to know that."

The crowd is silent and Caesar is silent as well. "Wow...that was awfully beautiful. It sounds like this young woman needs to give this man a second chance!" Caesar yells, egging on the crowd.

The crowd whistles and claps.

I know Eric was sorry for what he had done. But I don't know if I would ever be able to trust him again. He gets a lot of attention. I feel like it would happen again if he were to ever become stressed or if we were to fight. A part of my heart will always belong to him, because he was my first love. It doesn't matter anyway, because the games will be here soon.

"I think we need to bring a special young lady up here. Everyone please welcome Miss Ashe Barrette!" Caesar announces.

The woman in the back escorted me up to the stage and I walked up, blinded by the lights and the flashes of the cameras taking pictures. I walk up to the middle of the stage where Caesar and Eric are. Both of them stand up and Caesar sticks his hand out for me to take. I take his hand and he kisses my hand, very gentleman like. We all sit down and wait for the crowd to quit cheering and clapping.

"So Miss Barrette, what did you think of the speech Mr. Pierce gave?"

I remember what Coriolanus said about giving the best show of my life. I need these people to like me; I need sponsors. The only way to do that is to give the people what they want.

"I thought it was sweet," I lie, knowing I've heard his same apology over and over.

"Yes it was very sweet indeed. Would you ever take this young man back?" Caesar asks, putting me on the spot.

"I would, but with the games...I'm honestly not sure if it'll happen because of that."

I hear the crowd awwwwing, in disappointment. And Caesar gives a small frown.

"If you were to live, would you marry this man? Would you go back to district 12 and marry him next to the stream like you had planned?" Caesar fishes.

I look at the crowd and I know they're all silent, waiting for my answer. "Yes. Yes I would if given the chance." I lie.

I look up and see Eric standing, looking nervous. I am heavily confused now. He kneels down and I see something is in his hand. I know what's happening. I know why they had him come here instead of my mother. For more viewers. This is the entertainment they had been waiting for. He opens a box and it has a ring in there. It's a big silver diamond. There is no way anyone from district 12 would be able to afford that. The Capitol had given it to him to propose with. This is all a big game to them.

"Ashe Sylvia Barrette, would you do me the honor of being my wife? To love me for the rest of my life, as I you?"

If I say no, it will not make the people happy. In fact, people could hate me for it. I would have no sponsors. If I say yes, then I am committing myself to him. I could always break up with him afterwards, if I survive this, but I don't know what the repercussions from the capitol would be. I am put in an impossible situation.

"Yes," I say reluctantly, even though they don't know that.

The crowd goes absolutely wild. I hear them cheering, screaming, clapping, whistling...Eric slides the ring onto my finger and helps me out of my chair and gives me a hug. My head is facing the crowd and I peak to the side to try and find Coriolanus. I scan the first couple of rows, but don't see him. Then that's when I notice...

an empty chair.

Ashes in the SnowOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara