Three

Daniel and I never got the chance to say goodbye to friends and family. We were immediately thrown on to the train, which would lead us to the capitol. I've never been to the capitol, but I would guess the ride would be a couple of days long.

Daniel and I didn't talk very much. We both mostly sat in our rooms, processing what was happening. Honestly, I sat in my room and cried a lot. I was in shock when everything was happening, so I didn't have a whole lot of time to process or mourn. I don't feel prepared to fight. I've never had practice with weapons. I could take care of myself as far as making fires and knowing which plants are okay to eat and which ones are poisonous. But when it comes down to a fight between me and another tribute, I will have no idea where to begin. I've heard of people from districts 1 and 2 preparing to fight and having the resources to practice. District 12 is not so lucky. District 12 has never had a victor before, so there is no one we could talk to.

I heard a small faint knock on my door, and Daniel peaked his head in.

"Come in," I say quietly.

"How are you holding up?" He asked.

"As good as I can be. What about you?"

"Same here," he mumbles.

He stood there awkwardly in the doorway for a moment. "What made you do it?"

"Made me do what?"

"Volunteer for Holly Mae."

"I don't know honestly. Maybe it was because of the way her mother was panicking...or maybe it was because I couldn't just sit there and watch this poor girl walk closer towards death." I paused for a moment. "Stupid of me, right?"

He looked at me and said, "I thought it was very brave of you. You did what no one else was willing to do."

I looked up at him and felt how genuine he was with his response. "Thank you," I say with warmth in my heart.

"I'm kind of glad they picked me," he replied.

I looked at him with surprise. How could someone say that? What does he mean by that?

"Why would you say that?" I ask.

"So I don't have to worry by watching you through a screen. I can actually protect you in there."

Was he just saying that because we're friends? Or is there more meaning behind what he just said? I'm not too sure why he seems to care so much. This isn't really the time or place to pour out your feelings. We have other things to worry about, such as life or death. But maybe I'm wrong. Maybe now is the time and place to talk about it. To get everything off your chest before you go. Maybe that's what Daniel's doing. Maybe he feels like he doesn't have much time left in this world and feels the need to say what's on his mind. I can't think about a future right now. It's hard to think about one when you feel like you don't have one. And like I said before, I don't have romantic feelings for Daniel. So that could also play a part with how I'm feeling.

"I'm not sure what to say. I didn't realize you felt so protective over me."

He comes into the room and squats down to be eye level with me, since I'm sitting on the bed. He touches me cheek and leans in closer, "you don't have to say anything. Just know that I will protect you in there. Even if it's the last thing I do."

I stare into his eyes; he is so close to me. I can feel his breath on my face. Him being so close to me feels so intense. I'm not sure if it's him pouring out his feelings to me or if it's the fact we both feel like we're going to die soon. He stands back up and walks out of the room, shutting the door behind him. I let a deep breath out, not realizing I wasn't breathing the entire time he was close to me.

I feel the train stop and realize we made it to the capitol.