ROOM WITH A VIEW

The war started with fire and he would never forget who lit the match. There was a war in his heart, an unordinary chaos and he was never going to forget what caused it, not even me. This rage was even obvious whenever he woke up. The situation really changed the Christian I knew. At some point, he even wanted to take the Christ out of his name. I'm lying, that was my idea. I was the only person seeing his smile and that was because I was good at cooking jokes. He was only human and moreover he was not to be blamed for the actions he was portraying. All his optimistic self was just a waste. It all started when he had to wait an extra hour after work just because his boss wanted him to do something for him. Something that could have been done the next morning but boss was the type who always abused the 'no procrastination thing' and never knew anything like patience. 'Do it before you leave.' he said. Christian trying not to be the cause of anger at the workplace agreed and went to his office to start it. He finished the work very late and had to walk to the station because he couldn't get a cab at the junction that he used to get one. This successful young lady on the other hand, Kaiya, had a very stressful day and heartbreaking one to be exact. I guess her mistake was trust in abundance. Per the excuse she gave to me after the incident, she was driving drunk because she caught her fiancé with her best friend making out. It seems he started cheating on her the first the he met her. Kaiya was with her best friend, Nicole when he met her. He proposed to Kaiya, with the idea that after marriage, he will be able to get her properties and then share it with Nicole. This really broke her heart and for the first time in her life, she had a taste of alcohol and like they say, 'When it numbs the pain, it dumbs the brain', it was even a miracle she was able to drive half an hour without any incidence until the miracle got fed up, knocked Christian down, somersaulting about a couple times injuring her in the head too. Kaiya had a hard time remembering things and Christian on the other side, couldn't walk, at least for now because the doctor claimed he was going to walk again. This was the reason why Christian couldn't work at that moment, he'd be in his room day-in and day-out without a smile or even a wink. I tried to cheer him up as best as I could but every time the cheeks tried to move up, the tears would pull them back to their place. A week passed and Christian was still locked up in his room. Luckily for me, I had a spare key. Sometimes I even doubted he left the wheel chair to sleep on his bed. Every morning I checked up on him, the bed was well laid. Eating was also another struggle for me. He barely ate twice a day, always sipping coffee. I had an idea to be bringing him to the hall where he would be watching outside through the large transparent glass. It took me four days to be able to convince him but it still worked anyways. Days turned into weeks and the routine of taking Christian to the hall continued. It became a ritual for him, allowing him to view the outside world through a large transparent glass. At first he hated it, but gradually I found comfort in the prospect. He had a story to tell each day. Sometimes he would tell me how the pickpockets were busily stealing those who were busily walking to work. There were other times, he would yell at a man who faked to be crippled to beg money but no one could hear him through the window.

One evening, as the sun sank below the horizon and cast a warm, golden glow over the city, Christian rolled toward the window. I saw a flicker of interest in his eyes, a sparkle that had been missing for a long time. The city below, with its busy streets and distant sounds, seemed to awaken something within him. Staring outside, he focused on a particular building across the street. Surprising to him, Kaiya had moved to an apartment on the top floor of this building. Every evening she sat by the window, lost in her thoughts, admiring the view of the city. One day, as Christian was sitting by the window, he noticed a figure reflected in the window of the building across the street. It was Kaiya. Their eyes met in the distance, and time stopped for a moment. It was as if the universe had conspired to bring them together. Even if they had their own struggles. Over the next few days, this quiet connection deepened. Christian and Kaiya began to communicate through body language and facial expressions. It was a language beyond words, a silent understanding of each other's pain and loneliness. They found pleasure in the moments they shared as they watched the world go by. As the weeks passed, Christian's health improved. His doctors' prediction that he would be able to walk again began to come true. His contact with Kaiya through the window became the driving force and motivation for his recovery. Similarly, Kaya found comfort in knowing that someone understood her quiet struggles. One day, Christian rolled in the window and found Kaiya standing in the doorway of his apartment. She decided to take her risk and step out of her own comfort zone. With a look of determination on her face, she walked to Christian's building and knocked on his door. When he opened the door, their eyes met again, but this time there was no glass separating them. It was a moment of realization, a moment when two souls, scarred by life's challenges, found each other. The war in Christian's mind subsided, replaced by new connections beyond the confines of the room. And so, against the backdrop of a city recovering from the scars of the war, Christian and Kaiya embark on a journey of recovery, hope, and the transformative power of shared pain and understanding. A room with a view has become a symbol of resilience and the possibility of finding light even in the darkest of times.