A Negotiation with a Titan

Start from the beginning

The healing must've taken a lot of his energy. He looked almost as pale as Annabeth.

Theo: You good, Will?

Will: Yeah. That should do it. But we're going to need some mortal supplies.

He grabbed a piece of hotel stationery, jotted down some notes, and handed it to one of the Athena guys.

Will: There's a Duane Reade on Fifth. Normally I would never steal—

Travis: I would.

Will: Leave cash or drachmas to pay, whatever you've got, but this is an emergency. I've got a feeling we're going to have a lot more people to treat.

Nobody disagreed. There was hardly a single demigod who hadn't already been wounded...except me and Percy.

Theo: Do what you have to do. Thank you, guys.

Travis: Don't mention it. Come on, guys. Let's give Annabeth some space. We've got a drugstore to raid...I mean, visit.

The demigods shuffled back inside. Jake Mason grabbed my shoulder as he was leaving.

Jake: We'll talk later, but it's under control. I'm using Annabeth's shield to keep an eye on things. The enemy withdrew at sunrise; not sure why. We've got a lookout at each bridge and tunnel.

Theo: Let Percy know when you see him. Thanks.

Jake: Just take your time.

He closed the terrace doors behind him, leaving Silena, Annabeth, and me alone.

Silena pressed a cool cloth to Annabeth's forehead.

Silena: This is all my fault.

Annabeth: No. Silena, how is it your fault?

Silena: I've never been any good at camp. Not like you or Theo or Percy. If I was a better fighter...

Her mouth trembled. Ever since Beckendorf died she'd been getting worse, and every time I looked at her, it made me angry about his death all over again. Her expression reminded me of glass—like she might break any minute. I swore to myself that if I ever found the spy who'd cost her boyfriend his life, I would give him to Diego as a snack.

Theo: You're a great camper. You're the best Pegasus rider we have. And you get along with people. Believe me, anyone who can make friends with Clarisse has talent.

She stared at me like I'd just given her an idea.

Silena: That's it! We need the Ares cabin. I can talk to Clarisse. I know I can convince her to help us.

Theo: Whoa, Silena. Even if you could get off the island, you know how stubborn Clarisse can be. Once she gets angry—

Silena: Please. I can take a Pegasus. I know I can make it back to camp. Let me try.

I exchanged looks with Annabeth. She nodded slightly.

I didn't like the idea. I didn't think Silena stood a chance of convincing Clarisse to fight. On the other hand, Silena was so distracted right now that she would just get herself hurt in battle. Maybe sending her back to camp would give her something else to focus on.

Theo: Alright. If anyone could convince Clarisse to help, it's you.

Silena threw her arms around me. Then she pushed back awkwardly, glancing at Annabeth.

Silena: Um, sorry. Thank you, Theo! I won't let you down!

Once she was gone, I knelt next to Annabeth and felt her forehead. She was still burning up.