The Haveli (Ch-13)

Start from the beginning

The sun hasn't risen completely yet. There were around 10 people in the haveli, all shattered here and there, as if searching something. Well they are searching for the person who entered Vyas ji's haveli.

Author's Pov:

Early in the morning when Ramesh kaka aka Ramu kaka saw that the gate of the haveli are open, he was startled. No one in the village would dare to steal from this haveli.

So it meant that either there are theifs from some other village inside or Vyas ji has came. The latter though can't be possible. Vyas ji wasn't someone to visit here alone. And his family comes very rarely.

Also he informs Ramesh kaka to prepare the haveli. So, he instantly collected the villagers and told that their is a possible outbreak in the Vyas haveli.

The villagers took their lathis (long bamboo sticks) with them and entered the haveli to deal with whoever it is inside.

When they entered, after a few minutes an old man said, "Arey, je chora kaun hai?"
(Oh! Who is this guy?)

Dakshika came out of her room wearing a full crop top and a lower, her hairs tied in a bun.

"Arey chacha, je chora na chori hai. They apna chasma bhul aaye kaai?"
(Oh uncle, it's not a guy, she is a girl. Did you forget your specs?)

Dakshika chuckled at this.
"Wo jo bhi hai, chor te na laage hai."
Another said.
(Whoever she is, doesn't look like a theif)

And then it was Ramu kaka, "Je to mhare ko jaani-pehchaani si laage se."
(She looks a little familiar to me.)

"Khambaghani kaka, mhara naam Dakshika Shekhawat hai." She said joining her hands.
(My name is Dakshika Shekhawat.)

Ramu kaka ran in front of her. "Manne maaf krariyo bai sa, the haath na joro." He said joining his hands.
(Forgive me, please don't join your hands.)

Dakshika'a Pov:

"It's ok kaka, I am sorry I wasn't able to inform you. Actually I wanted to but when I tried, the network wasn't available and nanu already handed me the keys so.. " I trailed off.

The villagers whispered among themselves, " Is she a foreigner? Her accent says so." "Yes, I think so too." "But what is she doing here and who is she? "

Oh I forgot, my accent, it is very different. I was always taught English by 'Swetlana'. And it was her accent which I picked up. Though when I would speak Hindi or any other Indian language my accent changed back to Indian.

Ramu kaka, turned toward them and said, " You duffers, didn't you recognize her, are Dakshika bai sa, Vyas sa's granddaughter."

" Ohhh! Forgive us bai sa and sorry that we disturbed you early in the morning." One of them said.

" It's okay. It was my mistake." I said.

"Okay then, Ramesh we will leave now." Saying this they slowly left.

"Bai sa, I am sorry once again. You go to your room and sleep, I'll look after the other things till then. Also I'll have to arrange things for breakfast and all. By the way may I ask when did you arrive? " He asked.

"Around 2 in the morning kaka and I am going outside for sometime, I don't think so I'll be able to sleep again." I said and he again lowered his head.

"It's ok kaka, and anyhow my alarm would ring till 6:30 so I had to wake up then." I lied trying to make him relax.

"Still bai sa-" He was about to say something but I interrupted, "Kaka I'll be back in an hour or so make something light for breakfast. Okay, bye." I said moving out not waiting for his reply.

I was roaming around the kaccha roads of the village. The villagers have already started their daily routine. It was cold here and I was rubbing my arms.

Here and there men and ladies would steal glances at me and then say something among themselves. God knows what are they so curious about.

I moved to a tea stall and asked for a cup of milk. Coffee was what I needed but milk would work too.

I was waiting there when I heard a deep voice, " Fuck it! Bas isi ki der thi."
(Only this was left to happen.)

When I turned around to look who is this man cursing in English right in the morning, I saw a man's back. He looked muscular from behind.

There was Bentley beside him and two men were standing in front of him. The tire was puncture, I guess that's why he was using such beautiful words.

I giggled. I quickly turned my head and took the cup. What's up with me, I am laughing a lot these days. Normally people are happy with this. But I ain't.

Cause I believe when you laugh a lot, you have to cry a lot too. I stood up and turned around to move back. It's already more than half an hour and so I need to move back now.

"Excuse me uncle, do you have water. My sister needs it actually, and we don't have it." The same voice came. I haulted in my track and was about to turn.

But wait why should I? I am behaving strangely. So I did what was right, I marched back to the Haveli.

When I reached the haveli, Ramu kaka was in the Hall and many people were being ordered by him to do certain works. Guess he thinks that I should have all the possible luxuries here.

I told him that I'll be back in a few minutes for breakfast and went to my room.

Taking a shower I wore one of my anarkali suit and pinned half of my hair with a few strands open. I wore my medium sized jhoomkas and applied a lip balm, kaajal and a bindi on my forehead.

I moved out of my room and the people working their froze for a few seconds. What? Am I looking weird? Not possible I wear Indian many a times, nobody ever mentioned it.
So what is it.

A woman whos face was covered with a ghoonghat (veil) came forward and slowly applied kohl behind my ears.
"Ghani chokkhi laage ho bai sa" She said.
(You look very nice bai sa.)

"Yes bai sa you look so beautiful." Kaka said.

"Thankyou." Was all I said and was damn sure my cheeks are red by now.

I served myself the 'Aloo Partha' kept on the table, and took some 'chutney'.. I am not comfortable with eating alone in front of so many people so I moved back to my room.

The haveli: