IX. SECOND YEAR

It is Christmas, and students going home for the holidays are transported across the frozen lake in sleighs pulled by white horses.

I'm skipping the scene where they drink the potion because I have COVID and don't feel like vomiting.

Harry and Ron walk down a staircase to a corridor.

Harry as Goyle: I think the Slytherin common room's this way.

Ron as Crabbe: Okay.

Percy approaches them.

Percy: Excuse me.

Ron gasps.

Ron as Crabbe: What are you doing down here? [Harry hits him] I mean... [tries to sound like Crabbe] ...what are you doing down here?

Percy: I happen to be a school prefect. You, on the other hand, have no business wandering the corridors at this time of night. What are your names again?

Harry as Goyle: Uh, I'm...

Draco: [entering the corridor] Crabbe, Goyle, where have you two been? Pigging out in the Great Hall all this time? [notices Harry's glasses] Why are you wearing glasses?

Harry as Goyle: [taking the glasses off] Oh, um, reading.

Draco: Reading? I didn't know you could read. [turns to Percy] And what are you doing down here, Weasley?

Percy: Mind your attitude, Malfoy.

"Yeah, Mr. MaLfOy." George mocks.

Draco leads Harry and Ron away. Arriving in the Slytherin common room, Draco lounges on a sofa.

Draco: Well, sit down.

Harry and Ron take seats on another sofa.

Draco: You'd never know the Weasleys were pure-bloods, the way they behave. They're an embarrassment to the wizarding world, all of them! [Ron clenches a fist and looks angry.] What's wrong with you, Crabbe? [Harry gives him a bump]

Narcissa turns red in anger.

Ron as Crabbe: Stomach ache.

Draco: You know, I'm surprised The Daily Prophet hasn't done a report on all these attacks. I suppose Dumbledore's trying to hush it all up. Father always said that Dumbledore was the worst thing that ever happened to this place.

Harry as Goyle: You're wrong!

Draco: [getting to his feet] What? You think there's somewhere here who's worse than Dumbledore? Well? Do you?

Harry as Goyle: Harry and Nova Potter?

Ron nods vigorously. Draco considers this for a moment and eventually nods.

Draco: Good one, Goyle! You're absolutely right! Saint Potters. And people actually think they're the Heirs of Slytherin?

"Nova's scary enough to be." Barty mutters to the Lestrange brothers who nod in agreement.

Harry as Goyle: But then you must have some idea who's behind it all?

Draco: You know I don't, Goyle. I told you yesterday. [sits down again] How many times do I have to tell you? [picks up a Christmas present] Is this yours? [Harry shakes his head and Draco stuffs it into his robes] But my father did say this. It's been fifty years since the Chamber was opened. He wouldn't tell me who opened it, only that they were expelled. The last time the Chamber of Secrets was opened, a Mudblood died, so it's only a matter of time before one of them is killed this time. As for me... I hope it's Granger. [Ron rises to his feet, but Harry restrains him] What's the matter with you two? You're acting very... odd.