Saved

Mayas pov

My heart drops, my stomach flipping as the building becomes engulfed in flames. I let myself feel for just a minute, I let my head and my heart race.

"Gibson. Radio back, where are you? We're sending in rescue." I say through the radio. I wait for a little, no response. "Lieutenant, what's your location?" I radio to him, no response.

I turn to Andy and Vic who were standing next to me. "Find Jack, Find Carina, and get the hell out of there." I say, looking over at station 21 whose job was to extinguish, they're sending more people. "Bishop this is Chief Bailey, we are almost all accounted for. We're missing one doctor and one patient from OB.", baileys voice rings out from the radio.

Of course it's Carina. Of course she's the last one in a burning building. "Dr. Bailey we are sending in more firefighters to help evacuation, I will let you know when everyone's out safe." I say.

We've been at this scene for almost an hour, and the fire isn't getting any smaller. "Bishop its Herrera, we reached the OR's. No sign of anyone yet." Andy updates me.

Carinas pov

I wake up with my head pounding, my mouth tastes like blood. Thankfully the baby is still safe in my arms. I grab my burnt white coat and my scrub cap and get up, burning papers and wood surrounding me.

Jack busts in the room. His gear is shredded, his body covered in embers and ash. He's carrying the mom, her body limp. I can see that he's speaking but I can't hear him. He motions for me to come with him.

It just occurred to me that my eardrums must've burst. There's blood running down my face, the baby is screaming but I can't hear her. I can't hear the fire. We head down the hallway, bits of the ceiling created holes in the floor. A place that used to be so clean and sterile is hanging on by a thread, covered in the ash of what it used to be composed of.

My head hurts, My chest hurts, but I can't stop. I follow Jack down the stairs and through the lobby. Things crash down to my left and right.

I run out the same doors I entered that morning. My chest burning, my hearing gone, my head throbbing, and a baby in my arms. I can't hear anything happening around me as I hand the baby to Addison in the ambulance.

I can feel my heartbeat in my head, I should get checked out. But the only thing I can think of is Maya. I need to see her, I need her to know that I'm okay.

I look around for a familiar face, finally spotting Ben. He runs over to me, saying something before hugging me. "Maya?" I say, before coughing. He says something back, I point to my ears. He walks with me to an open ambulance, saying something to the EMT's working. "Where is Maya?" I say, to him.

He holds up his finger, signaling for me to wait as he runs into the crowd. They put an oxygen mask on me, hopefully it'll help with the coughing. The emt's clean the blood from my ears, putting some sort of drop in them. It stings like a bitch.

I don't care about them helping me, I just want Maya. I want her to hold me and tell me everything's going to be okay. I need her.

I see Ben coming back through the crowd, but he's not with Maya. Amelia comes over and gives me the concussion test, I obviously have one. She starts to ask my questions, but I can't fucking hear. I didn't realize how much listening I do in a day.

After sitting outside the ambulance for what felt like hours but might've been 10 minutes, I take the oxygen mask off. My lungs feel fine, all I need is Maya. I know she's working and I can't bother her, I need to see her.

I thank the EMT's and walk away against their advice, searching the crowd for my wife. I see the engine, she must be near it. Before I can head over, I feel a hand on my shoulder. I turn around, it's Bailey. She hugs me, before asking me something.

"I'm fine, I need Maya. I need to see her." I say. Bailey gives me an apologetic look before grabbing my hand and leading me through the crowd.

I finally see her, my heart rate steadying. I basically run towards her, even though it's hurting, I can't stop. We make eye contact and I can see the relief on her face.

When I reach her, I can't stop myself from wrapping my arms around her. I feel tears falling down my face, but I know I have to let her go. The buzzing in my ears lessens slightly, I know Bailey is saying something but I can't figure out what it is. Maya lets go, squeezing my hand three times, I love you.