almost home

A week later

Carinas pov

As I'm finishing up a quick surgery my phone begins to ring. "Dr Deluca it's the psychiatrist." A scrub nurse says. "Answer it" I reply, my heart beating faster than it's ever felt. Is Maya okay?

"Hi is this Dr. Deluca?" A woman says over the phone. "Yes, I'm finishing up a surgery, can I call you back in ten?" I say, starting my stitches. She says yes and we hang up. What could she possible want?

I get to my office and dial the number back, waiting as it rings. "This is Dr. Deluca." I say when the woman answers. "Hi Dr, I'm Jane I work at the psychiatric ward. I was wondering if you had a few minutes?" She says. "Yes, I do." I reply.

My leg is bouncing up and down, the anxiety inside me won't stop. "We'd like to go over the ending course of Mayas treatment, along with outpatient services." She adds. "Okay" I reply, getting out a piece of paper to write what I can.

"Maya is scheduled to be released this Friday. She asked that you be contacted about this. We have transportation available, unless..." she says, but I cut her off. "I can come get her." I say.

Friday-get Maya
I scribble on the paper.
She continues talking about the outpatient program, and how Maya will continue to talk to her therapist until her therapist clears her. I'm trying to focus but I can't. Maya is coming back to me.

"And we'll have that all on a form you'll sign and receive when you come pick her up, she'll be notified as well. Do you have any questions Dr?" She finishes. "No, thank you." I reply.

After I hang up I begin to cry, I'm not quite sure why. She's coming back. But everything is different, everything has changed between us. I hope she still wants to work for our relationship, but I get if she doesn't. It's all feeling so real, the fighting, the screaming, the empty bed, the lonely nights. It's all real.

"Carina you won't believe.. oh my god are you okay?" Amelia says after barging into my office. "Yeah, I'm sorry I don't know why I'm crying." I say, sniffling and wiping my face. "What's going on?" She asks. I nod my head no, I can't talk about it right now. We're Both at work, we have patients who need us.

Mayas pov

As I wrap up a session with my therapist she hands me an envelope. "Maya, this has all the information on your release date, as well as the continuation of our meetings. I think you've made a lot of progress here, and we don't want to lose that when you leave." When I leave? Im getting out of this place? Finally.

I've been waiting for my turn to leave, I've watched as people have quickly come and go, some spending more time than others here. I can't wait to see Carina. I don't know how I'm going to react. I miss her so much. I need to see her, but I hurt her and she hurt me. We're in this weird place, and I want to get out of it so badly.

A few days later

Carinas pov
I frantically clean the apartment, making sure everything is okay for Maya to come back. I removed all the sharps, the pills, the treadmill, anything that could set her back. Thank god amelia came with me, I don't think I could do this on my own. I reach under the bathroom sink to grab my travel bag and my Hand lands on a box. I pull it out, it's pregnancy tests. My heart sinks. I sit down on the bathroom floor, just holding the box in front of me.

It didn't really occur to me that these last few months would be so crucial in whether or not we had a baby. My egg count was low to start with, and I think I lost the chance I had to be a mother. Of course we could adopt, but I don't think Mayas ready. I don't know if she'll ever be ready.

Tears begin to stream down my face, I try to choke them back but I can't. "Carina are you okay?" Amelia says, knocking on the door. "Yes, sorry." I say, wiping my tears and putting the box back under the sink. I grab my bag and head out of the room, going downstairs to get whatever else I'll need.

I know I'm physically prepared, but I'm not mentally prepared. I can't seem to grasp that I'll see her tomorrow. My Maya.

"Ready?" Amelia says, breaking me out of my thought spiral. "Sí." I reply, heading out behind her and shutting the door. I'm thankful Amelia is letting me stay at her place for a while, or at least until Maya and I have everything figured out. I love her, but I can't be in that apartment with her, now right now.

Mayas pov

I packed all my stuff up and tucked myself into bed early. The earlier I fall asleep, the quicker tomorrow comes. That means I get to see Carina, and I can't wait.