chapter thirteen, the calm before the storm.

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐂𝐋𝐀𝐒𝐇 𝐎𝐅 𝐒𝐖𝐎𝐑𝐃𝐒
- THE CALM BEFORE THE STORM -

The moment the two sisters were outside of the council chamber, Visenya let go of Rhaenyra's arm. Though as soon as she broke contact, the Princess was immediately met by a rather large hug.

Visenya would awkwardly laugh while her little sister clung onto her. "What are you doing?" She would ask as she looked down at Rhaenyra with raised brows.

"I'm hugging you." Responded Rhaenyra, as if she were surprised her elder sister would ask such a question. "I thought- I don't know- I thought that you might like a hug." This caused the Princess to laugh a little. "I felt like I needed a hug, but i'm not exactly sure why." She spoke softly as she then pulled back. "How are you? I haven't seen you in days."

"I'm quite alright." Visenya replied as she looked at her sister. "I've just been rather busy, that's all." Her eyes then looked forward, and she began to walk. "And yourself?" She asked. "I trust you've been getting some rest. The talk of the Council must be taking it's toll on your spirits, i'm sure."

Rhaenyra nodded her head and smiled a little. "Some rest, yes." With her forefinger and thumb, she pinched the fabric of her dress while they walked. "In all honesty, i believe i've spent most of this past half year trying to decide how i feel about father re-marrying again." Rhaenyra laughed, yet there seemed to be a rather large weight on her heart. "All to no avail."

Visenya took a short glance at her sister and cleared her throat, before she looked forward and continued walking.

She had spent her own time trying to avoid that.

The topic of their father marrying again after their mother was never a possibility, until after Aemma died.

"In truth, i've been trying to spend my time ignoring the prospect of father marrying again." Visenya held one hand to the flat swell of her belly and forced herself to nod along to her own words. "It makes me uncomfortable knowing that another woman will soon take our late mother's place. But.. I have no right to be so selfish." She continued. "Our father is a man who knows what he wants. He will remarry when it pleases him, and will father more siblings for us as well." Visenya would take a deep breath while the sound of her heartbeat grew faster. "For the life of me, some part of my heart can't help but feel somewhat happy for father.." The Princess paused while her eyes stared straight ahead and her fingers fidgeted with her rings. "At the same time, i can't help but feel somewhat bitter."

Though she didn't stop or turn to her little sister, Visenya's heart was pounding with both emotion and anger. When she spoke, her words were sharp and somewhat tainted by regret and guilt. "If father remarries that will just be another reminder of the fact that our mother is never coming back."

After a long few moments of silence, Visenya finally broke out of her bubble and looked back at Rhaenyra. She cleared her throat again and tried her best to swallow all her words. "Please forgive me for that.. I didn't mean to trouble you." She said with her head lowered towards the ground.

"It is okay, Visenya."

Rhaenyra's voice sounded soft and soothing as she gave her sister a pat on her back - though she didn't look at her. She was focused on their walk, hoping to avoid the embarrassment of tripping on her feet.