chapter eleven, born a woman.

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐂𝐋𝐀𝐒𝐇 𝐎𝐅 𝐒𝐖𝐎𝐑𝐃𝐒
- BORN A WOMAN -

Visenya was having that same nightmare again.

She visibly flinched and withered in her sleep as the minor yet vague images of Mellos cutting into her mother's stomach, suddenly appeared once more - in very distant and harsh visions.

She laid on her side, curled up in her bed.

The same dream of a thousand nights before had returned to haunt her. To leave her in her sweat drenched sheets. She could feel the memories, and even though she couldn't see them clearly - the haunting images remained.

Mellos was cutting into her mother's stomach on repeat.

He was killing her. Was her only thought.

She could see a thousand faces, and her heart would race with each nightmare.

And once again - she could hear the screams in her mind...

The Princess woke up with a jolt in the middle of that nightmare. Visenya gasped for air and quickly sat up in her bed, her mind in a frenzy.

"No! No!"

She covered her eyes and felt a chill running down her skin.

Even in the middle of each night, with her bed sheets wet of sweat and crinkled to the point it needed ironing, the screams in her mind remained. No matter how much she may cry.

Visenya was still in shock. Even though the dream she had was something she had seen multiple times before - it was as haunting as ever, and it only got bloodier and bloodier.

And like each night before, Ser Edmyn would burst into the room with wide eyes and a heaving chest. He searched the room with panic, as if he was trying desperately to find the source of his Princess' distress. "Wh-What is it?"

Visenya slowly shook her head and cleared her throat as much as she could. She tried to force herself to remain calm, but she was still startled. Her breathing was heavy, and it was as if the nightmare was still stuck in the back of her mind.

"It was a nightmare, Edmyn. Just a nightmare." She sighed defeatedly and let both her arms fall to her side. "Just another one, I'm afraid."

Ser Edmyn's expression grew dark. And it was only a matter of time before he started asking his questions. "Is it the same thing from every time before? The screams? The blood?"

The Princess nodded.

In her exhausted state - that was the only answer she could manage for now. "Yes..."

That was enough explanation.

Enough for Edmyn to know what was going on inside of her mind and what wars were being fought.

A grim silence would linger in the air, after Edmyn's and Visenya's brief exchange.

Visenya had not yet had the time to properly wake up as her skin glistened with added sweat.

Her hand pressed against her swollen belly while she stared off into the darkness of her room for a couple of seconds.

"It still haunts me, even at nights." She finally whispered as the memories of what she had gone through slowly returned to her mind. One by one, like the images on a flip book....