reaping day

I scream. My heart beats fast. Sweat drips all over my body. It was just a nightmare. I sit on my bed. I listen carefully. I beg I haven't waked up my aunt. If I waked her she would hit me. But I can't control my scream. The nightmares come once a week. They are always the same. Dad who stole only a little bit so we wouldn't die of hunger. How they shot dad and mom right in front of me. How the peacekeepers beat my little brother to death. They were wrong. They should only had taken my father to prison. Its against the rules to kill that many. And yet the peacekeepers are fine. They didn't get punished. Many were angry about it. But they threatened to kill us if we did anything about it.

I look out the tiny window. The sun has only begun to rise. I take my boots and jacket on and walk out the door. I was left with my aunt when my family died. My aunt is abusive. The only reason why she choose to take care of me was I could work. I could get money. District 9 is quiet so early. We don't have much free time so everybody gets as much sleep as they can. I walk on the road. Small houses are on both sides. I turn to the victor's village. Today it's the reaping. It's the 72 annual hunger games. I'm 17. That means I have 1 more year. Beside the house of Theodore there is a bush. Theodore won 4 years ago. He was 15. Under the bush lays some throwing knives. I take them and put them in my pocket.

I walk for 10 minutes. Then I get there. The bunker. You can't see it but if you put your hand the right place you can feel a lid. It's overgrown by grass and other plants. I make sure no one sees me. I open the bunker and go inside. It isn't that deep. There are a few pillows here and there. But most importantly there is mannequins in the center of the room. They are old and are from a closed shop. The kids here use them for training. Its all the orphans who use this place. Some 18 and 19 years old have found a way outside the fence. They bring food to the rest of us. I want to come with them, but they won't allow me, since its "too dangerous". I train here instead. I have learned how to use almost every weapon. I can do swords, bow, guns, triton but I prefer spears and knives. Of course, I'm good at using a sickle as well, since its what we use to farm. I train for a few hours. Then its time for the reaping.

I stand in the back since the oldest those. Tessia walks on stage. She has blue skin with a pink wig. The wig is double the size of her head. She walks over to the mic. "Happy hunger games. Today we brought you a film all the way from the Capitol to show you". The film starts. Just the same as all the other years. The 6 winners from district 9 sits up on the stage. Daniel Bernhardt, Mizar Aldjoy, Laurel Flamsteed, Jomilee Lapworth, Marian Greene and Theodore Demarchi is all the victors. "Now let's get started" Tessia says. She walks over to the bowl with all the girl names. She buries her hand in all the papers, and finally chooses one. She walks back to the mic and reads the paper. "Cassie Sallow"