47| Desperate

Ugbad Mahamed Nurrs Pov:

Entering the office, I observe the other residents standing around, seemingly waiting for Dr. Mantal. Exhaustion weighed heavily on me, as I spent the previous night delving into Melorheostosis, fueled by my theory that one of the patients might have this rare condition.

"Here, I brought you coffee," Casey says, her smile genuine. She's a genuinely kind soul, the only person not treating our interactions as a competition. "Aw, Casey, you didn't have to," I reply, accepting the coffee gratefully.

"Rough night?" she inquires, and I just look at her, replying, "Yeah, sort of. I suspect Ronald has Melorheostosis." She meets my gaze, a hint of surprise in her eyes, "But isn't that super rare?"

I explain, "See, Melorheostosis is an extremely rare condition characterized by the overgrowth of bone, usually affecting the long bones and causing pain. Ronald has been complaining about persistent pain in his limbs for quite some time."

Casey furrows her brow, processing the information. "And the ringing sensation in the feet... that's linked to the membrane leakage you mentioned?"

"Exactly," I reply. "The abnormal bone growth can put pressure on nerves and blood vessels, causing sensations like tingling or ringing. It's not a typical symptom, but it's not unheard of either."

"Whoa, you're so smart," Casey says, almost in awe. I nearly choke on my coffee, caught off guard. "Whoa, easy there," she teases.

As Dr. Mantal strides into the room, I can feel the atmosphere shift. He's an imposing figure, and his stern reputation precedes him. It's no secret that he isn't exactly my biggest fan, and that fact hangs in the air as he enters.

The room falls silent, and we all straighten up as he begins addressing the group. "Good morning, team. Let's get straight to the point," he declares, his tone cutting through the air. I exchange a quick glance with my fellow residents, acknowledging the unspoken challenge of navigating rounds under Dr. Mantal's watchful eye.

Jasper, one of my colleagues, gets a subtle nod of approval from Dr. Mantal. It's clear that Jasper has somehow managed to find favor with our demanding supervisor.

Stupid rich prep kid privileges, I think.

I gather my courage, ready to share my insights on Ronald's case. However, as I begin to speak, Dr. Mantal interrupts me abruptly. "Save it for later, Ugbad. We don't have time for individual speculations. Let's get back to work," he asserts, effectively shutting down any attempt I make to contribute.

What is up with him?

I nod reluctantly, frustration bubbling beneath the surface. The dialogue between us is strained, and it's clear that my attempts to assert myself are met with resistance.

It's not lost on me that the world of medicine, even within the confines of the hospital, often carries its own set of biases and privileges. Jasper, with his polished background, seems to effortlessly navigate the unspoken intricacies that elude some of us.

Jasper catches my eye and gives me an encouraging smile, oblivious to the internal struggle I'm wrestling with. I reciprocate with a forced smile, masking my irritation.

Uggy why are you being ungrateful? Say Allahmdulliah, Allah has blessed you.

------------

I grab my phone and dial my mom's number, opting for a FaceTime call to bridge the physical distance. The screen lights up as the call connects, and there they are—my mom's familiar smile and my sister's energetic wave, both appearing on the screen.