Chapter 6: Mario vs Donkey Kong

In the morning, the four continue their path until approaching a large stone door.

Toad: Here's the door. What do we do now?

Toadette: Just knock, I guess.

Mario: Ok so what do you want me and Luigi to do?

Luigi: I'll be the one to knock on the door.

Luigi knocks on the large rock door, and it opens slowly, and they're greeted by a large ape with sunglasses wearing a white tank top and shorts. This is Funky Kong.

Funky Kong: What?

Luigi (In shock): Uh... hi we were sent here by the sorceress of the mushroom kingdom.

Mario: Yeah, we just need to see your leader.

Toad: I feel a little overdressed.

The ape turns around and everyone follows him into a temple where an elderly ape sits on a throne.

Cranky Kong: So, you need my help? Whatever could you Toadstoolians need?

Toad: No, we just need your son to help us stop King Koopa. Me and my sister have heard he's strong.

Cranky Kong: Okay.

Toadette: That's it?

Cranky Kong begins laughing uncontrollably until he begins to cough. Funky Kong walks over to his ruler hitting his back.

Cranky Kong: Thank you Funky. One of you must fight my son in the Kong Arena! I pick... you.

Cranky Kong points his cane at Mario.

Mario: Me? Why me? I don't know how to fight, not to mention I wouldn't beat up a child.

Cranky laughs at Mario's remark alongside the two toads and other Kong's.

Cranky Kong: Oh, you almost killed me with that comment. My son ain't that young, he's a full-grown ape.

Mario: Well then consider it a fight.

Luigi: Mario, what do you think you're doing?

Mario: Luigi I got this.

Mario is taken into an arena with the floor made of floating platforms and red girders where apes sit around booing at him with Cranky Kong sitting on a throne along with Toadette, Toad and Luigi above another door across from him. Mario hears an angry ape then it bursts out making Mario regret his decision. The ape is revealed to be wearing nothing but a red tie with the initials DK in yellow accompanied by a rap playing on loudspeakers entering the arena and the crowd starts going wild.

Donkey Kong (poorly singing): DK! I'm Donkey Kong! DK! Donkey Kong is here!

Donkey Kong turns around to face Cranky Kong and waves at him.

Donkey Kong: Hi dad!

Cranky Kong: No, don't do that.

Donkey Kong: Come on, they love it! They came here for me!

Cranky Kong: Enough with the showboating. Simmer down everyone

A small monkey continues to cheer for the ape in the arena.

Small Monkey: DK! DK!

Cranky Kong: That means you too Diddy.

Diddy Kong: Sorry.

Cranky Kong clears his throat.

Cranky Kong: Now if I can have everyone but more specifically Mario's attention, I have magic items called Power ups placed around the arena. You must use them, little guy, as you won't stand a chance against my son.

Donkey Kong: It's on little man.

Mario and Donkey Kong charge each other with it, seeming like Mario is going to lose because Donkey Kong keeps on blocking all of his attempts to hit him. The Italian sees and grabs a red flower, and his clothes magically change color his shirt turned red with his hat and overalls turned white.

Mario: What happened to me? Why are my clothes different colors?

Cranky Kong: Looks like someone got a Fire Flower.

Toadette: Throw the fire ball.

Mario produces a ball of fire from his hand and throws several at the ape who dodges all of them. Mario is then hit by the mighty ape with a barrel, losing the colors and fire powers.

Cranky Kong: Oh, I should've mentioned that not only do power ups have limited time but also when you get hit you lose the powers. My mistake.

Cranky Kong laughs about the unfortunate situation Mario is in. Mario then jumps to one of the platforms to avoid DKs attacks and he sees a bell on one of the blocks and he grabs it. He swoops down, revealing to the crowd that he's now wearing a catsuit.

Mario: Ah what? A cat, seriously? I can't believe this is embarrassing.

Toadette: Aw Luigi your brother looks adorable as a cat.

Luigi: He does.

Donkey Kong: HAH! You got the cat bell. Ok, ok. Now you die.

Mario manages to dodge all of DKs attacks and even scratches the ape on the face. The audience is astonished by what they have witnessed. No one has ever done this to Donkey Kong before. Mario slams the mighty ape into a girder like platform and DK is down for the count as he tries to hit Mario one last time until he falls flat on his face. The crowd cheers and a surprised Mario basks in his new found glory and the cat suit fades away turning him back to normal.