Chapter Forty-Five

Start from the beginning

Dad nods slowly. "That does make a lot of sense, Kinsey Girl, but at the same time communication is everything. Did he tell you he was unhappy?"

"No. That's where he's at fault, Olly should have been talking to me, long before fighting started and he chose to let it fester. He owns that, but I have to own my part in this too."

"That's very mature." Dad compliments me. "Do you see a chance for you and Olly again after all these years?"

"I don't know," I let out a long sigh. "For us to work again, he will need a lot more from me than I gave before, and I don't know if I have it. I'm still very hurt over him leaving."

"Course you are. Hell, so am I. A dad never forgets seeing his baby's heartbroken like that. I'm not sure I'll ever fully forgive him, but I'll always support what you want."

"He had reasons for leaving the way he did... but yeah, it's not something I can just snap and forgive," I agree. "It affected me for years, hindering my trust in people. It's a big part of why Hunter and I never were as adults. I was too scared of losing him like I lost Olly, so I kept those feelings buried."

"A lot to ponder over," Dad says as he carefully flicks his cigarette cherry far from the porch, then sticks the butt in his front pocket. Mama would probably actually murder him if she found a cigarette butt on her front porch.

"Yeah, sure is, and all that being said... I can't deny the feelings are there for Oliver. This longing to finish what got cut off so abruptly. But... so is this longing to see what could be with Hunter... I never thought it was possible, and now it is and .. "

I trail off again and then let out a groan. "Fuck, what do I do, Dad?"

"You know I can't tell you that."

"Sure you can. Tell me what you think I should do."

"Nope, you got to find that answer on your own," Dad quips.

"You're really not going to tell me to pick Hunter?" I tease as I arch an eyebrow. "Come on, Dad, he's like your best friend."

"He is my best friend and the son I never had, no matter what happens with the two of you, but you are my daughter. As I said before, it ain't up to me to tell you what to do. That's not my job as your dad."

"It's not?" I say with a tiny smile. "Then what is your job?

"A little bit of annoying you with my jokes, lots of embarrassing you in public, and I plan on upping the ante on that as I get older, by the way. And maybe once in a while, giving you a word of advice." He smiles in that soft way that always puts me at ease. "I ain't here to tell you how to live or who to be with. That's on you to figure out.

I feel myself becoming choked up as I say, "I'm so lucky. You know that?"

"Well, I'd have to agree with you there, Kinsey girl," Dad says. "I'm not afraid to admit how handsome those two men are."

"No, Dad!" I laugh out loud. "I meant how lucky I am to have you and Mama."

"Oh, stop that now!" His eyes get misty as he waved off my words.

"I mean it. I can't imagine what I'd do without you two."

"Oh, Kinsey, we are just so happy to have you home, me and Mama both."

"Me too, Dad. I missed y'all something fierce living two hours away."

"Don't you go doing that again, you here?" he says, and I giggle as I promise I won't.

"Here comes Brandi, have fun!' Dad says as her car pulls up, he pats my head as he stands and then ducks back into the house.

I jump into the passenger's seat and see the smile on her face right away, and it fills me with relief. Billy's hearing was today.