Chapter 01

Ugh, I hated insects

Ugh, I hated insects. Especially butterflies. No matter how beautiful they were, I just hated them.

I swatted away a butterfly that had decided to flutter its enormous wings in my face. I kissed my teeth in irritation as I warded away the insect with my hand.

People around me gasped in awe and cheered in surprise as the newly engaged couple kissed in front of everyone. Orange and green butterflies flew from all directions and swirled around the couple, making it look truly magical and enchanting.

The whole park had abandoned their picnics and games to witness the sight that was orchestrated by heaven itself.

White Doves from the birch trees around swooped in like angels descending to bestow their blessings upon them, surrounding the happy couple who embraced each other through teary laughs while the onlookers recorded the moment with their phones.

Millions of butterflies fluttered around the couple, showcasing the extreme love they have for each other as the tall, bright trees swayed to and fro as if to celebrate their joy.

Despite the presence of the butterflies, a wide smile grazed my face. It was truly a magnificent sight; a treat for the eyes, soul and mind. It won't take too long before this moment goes viral on social media. So I kept my phone tucked away and taped this moment with my own eyes.

"Look at all those beautiful butterflies! They must love each other so much to have countless of them flying around them!" a girl said in excitement.

"I wonder when my time will come! Oh, I do hope I fall in love so I can see those butterflies!" her friend sighed in contentment as she recorded the scene with her phone.

"It is a bummer that you can tell when no one is in love with you either. Surely I'll see at least a dozen butterflies if the one who loves me approaches me."

In this world, if you fall in love with someone, butterflies literally start to surround you and your crush, only if you are next to each other that is.

It was a weird phenomenon and also the main root of my hatred towards butterflies. 

Butterflies no longer hovered over my Dad, proving that all his love for my Mum was lost, decayed away, gone like smoke.

Before I could even confess to them, my crushes laughed and rejected me whenever they saw the butterflies flocking around us while I was nearby.

Butterflies no longer flew around me and my first and last boyfriend, crushing my dreams of forever.

I've been alone ever since.

Butterflies were a curse for me, but they were a blessing for others who loved wholeheartedly from their hearts.

As I looked ahead at the couple who were blushing under the cheers and claps of everyone else, I couldn't help but think what it was like to find the one. I was always unlucky when it came to love. I hated butterflies, but this moment unfolding in front of me was truly spectacular.