Not being straightforward

Nathan runs after Lilia, his heart beating faster than ever with every step he takes.

"Let me explain," he says, grabbing Lilia's arm.
She yanks his hand off hers, tears running down her face.

"Don't! How could you be on a date with another woman? So you really don't love me?"

She begins to sob and Nathan just stands there.
The woman is a co-worker he met during work hours and they were just meeting for business purposes. He doesn't even know anything about her!

"I knew it! I kept asking you why you came home late and that explains it all," Lilia says while crying her heart out.

"Please, Lilia! I love you more than anything!" Nathan says, trying his best for her to listen to him. He only came home late because he had extra work to do. He works as a civil servant in an administrative service but he sometimes finishes his work late but still tries to come back home early.

"I loved you okay? I loved you but I guess it was one sided all along," she sobs.

Nathan then tries to calm her down but Lilia does nothing but continue to ignore him and let her pitiful tears run down her face. Couldn't she take a chill pill?

"Let me explain," he says, taking her arm again.

Lilia looks at him and wipes her tears with her other hand, "I don't need an explanation."

"Please let me explain," he begs. He will do anything for her to not break up with him.

"Why did you cheat on me?" she finally asks.

"Let me explain-"

"Was it my body, my face, my hair?" she interrupts, rambling on about the possibilities.

Nathan sighs, fumbling with his hair, "Just let me explain."

"Fine," Lilia says, crossing her arms. "Then explain."

He takes a few deep breaths and composes himself: wanting to explain as much of the truth as he possibly can.

"-I can explain."

________________________________

I wrote this for fun and because I seriously get annoyed with this. Some stories are even based on misunderstandings but it takes a lot of chapters for it to be resolved. This story is based on misunderstandings and not being straightforward but I think the only thing I've read or watched that used this trope well is the manga and anime 'Komi can't communicate'. It was well written and I enjoyed watching it. I hope you enjoyed this little chapter and I will be posting randomly so I hope you can bear with me. See you!