"Lady Cecilia Russell, Viscountess of Barnbury, has already given an invitation for us to dine at Wyndham Hall as soon as you are settled," Sir William informed her.

"Viscountess!" echoed Catherine excitedly. As the sister of a Baronet, Catherine's own mother was the most superior member of society in their village, and Catherine had rarely encountered nobility, much less been invited to dine at a noblewoman's home! Her previous enthusiasm returned at once, as she realised the endless possibilities and exciting times which lay ahead.

"She is recently widowed," Sir William told her solemnly, "and her son Stephen has inherited the title."

"It is terribly tragic," added Lady Cavendish. "I fear the late Lord Russell would be turning in his grave should he witness the way his own son is acting as his successor."

"Whatever do you mean?" gasped Catherine, thoroughly intrigued.

"He is not at all proper, my dear Catherine. A wild young gentleman he is, and very undeserving of the honourable title he holds. Why, I should not be surprised were he to bring ruin upon his entire family!"

"Now, now, my dear, we should not speak out of turn," chided Sir William gently. "Lord Russell is but a young man, and I am sure he must grieve for his father still. We should allow him to settle in to the position before we pass such harsh judgements."

"We must agree to disagree here, Sir," replied Lady Cavendish. "Though you say it is not fair to judge, I have heard a great many rumours of his immoral ways which I very much dislike."

"Has Lord Russell any siblings?" enquired Catherine, in an attempt to change the topic of conversation.

"Yes, one sister - Eleanor is her name," replied Sir William. "She is extremely docile and unassuming, and does not share her brother's comfortable ease in company."

"That is the result of her mother's fussing, I have no doubt," commented Lady Cavendish. "Never have I seen her equal for interfering with their child's affairs! One would not think she is eighteen, no indeed. She is treated as if she is a child still."

"Nevertheless, she sounds a very amiable young girl," said Catherine politely. "I think I shall like her well."

"And so you shall, my dear, I am positive of it," Sir William told her. "You will be fast friends, I am sure."

"How does Cousin Julia find her?"

"I cannot say they are very well acquainted at present," said Sir William. "Miss Russell has just concluded her education, you see, so she has not often been at Wyndham Hall. I am sure Julia will also welcome the opportunity to know her better. It will be nice for her to have some ladies of her own age to spend time with."

"You will also become acquainted with our friends Mr and Mrs Wilmot during your stay, Catherine," Lady Cavendish told her.

"Ah, yes," smiled Sir William. "They are very good friends of ours. More decent people you will not find anywhere! And I do believe Mr Wilmot told me they were also to have a guest joining them soon. A Professor Henry Lawes, he said - one of his old friends from Cambridge."

"How fascinating!" Catherine exclaimed. "I have never met a professor. He must have a great many interesting things to say."

"He is a Professor of Astronomy, I believe," Sir William informed her. "He is indeed a very interesting gentleman, by all accounts."

Catherine sat back in the plush carriage seat with a satisfied sigh. She would be eternally grateful to her kind aunt and uncle for granting her this unique experience to enjoy herself - and enjoy herself she most certainly intended to do. It did still make her rather uncomfortable to think of poor Bessie all alone at Donbroke, but she knew that her sister must understand. And as the carriage drew ever closer to Barnbury, Catherine began to feel restless with anticipation as she wondered what the sleepy little Somerset village and its inhabitants had in store for her.