The Spider Within

Prologue!!!

Melody and Miles were walking back home after a crazy night at the arcade.

While Melody was busy laughing away at what happened that night, Miles was zoning out.

His mind flooded with memories, but not the good ones. To make it worse, it was all so....photographic. It was like he was living the same nightmares over again.

It's hard being a good friend, student, son AND Spider-Man all at the same time. He looked at the jubilant Melody, his biggest inspiration, as he wondered how she did it all. Miles always looked up to her because he thought she handled her life so well...at least based on what he knew about her.

After walking for a few extra minutes, they arrived at their indiviual apartments, Melody's first. Miles turned to her, "You uh...wanna stay over by me? I doubt your mom's home." Yes, he never wanted Melody to be by herself but this time, it was more than that. Miles NEEDED Melody's company, as it was probably the only thing that calmed him down. They don't even have to interact, as long as he knows she's there, he's content. Melody looked at him and smiled, "As long as your dad's okay with it." "Mel, you know my parents love you," Miles chuckled. They walked over to MIles' apartment. He opened the front door, letting Melody go in first.

Miles and Melody entered the dark apartment. "Yooo, I'm home! Mel's here too!" Miles called out to his father. "Sorry I'm late," Miles continued, looking around for his father. "Pfft- look at this," Melody pointed to the horror film being played on the TV. Miles watched it and narrowed his eyebrows, "She's really not gonna turn around and-AAAAAAAAAAAAA" Miles jumped and hid behind Melody, holding her tight as Melody screamed too. Jeff came out of nowhere in a scary mask, laughing hard at the two teenagers. 

"What do I always tell you, Miles, huh? You gotta k-"

"You gotta keep your head on the swivel...yeah, Dad, I know." Miles finished Jeff's sentence, still holding on to Melody, a bit embarrassed. She turned her head to look at him, "Puedes dejarme ir ahora, ya sabes (You can let go of me now, y'know)." Miles slowly let go of her, awkwardly apologizing. 

Jeff put his arm around Miles' shoulder, "Okay okay, so we got pizza on the way, ice-cream in the freezer and check this out! I rented three scary movies for us to watch. Three!" "Hey, that honestly sounds like a vibe, doesn't it, Miles?" Melody nudged Miles arm, which surprisingly made him flinch. Melody became skeptical. "You good, Morales?" she quietly asked him. Miles ignored her question, "Wait, Dad, rent? Did you drive all the way to Jersey to do that?" Melody folded her arms and decided to keep quiet, not really wanting to make a scene near Jeff. Jeff laughed at Miles' question, "You got jokes, man. I call couch!" 

Melody made her way to the couch, expecting Miles to join them. But he didn't. "Nah, I would but...I'm just tired. I'll catch you guys next time, though." Melody and Jeff looked at each other, confused, then back at Miles. "Are you okay, son?" Jeff asked. Miles hesistantly answered, knowing Melody was right there and would DEFINATELY see right through him, "Yeah, I'm good." And with that, Miles entered his bedroom and closed the door. Melody was about to follow him when Jeff stopped her. "He's okay, Mel, don't worry," he reassured her. She looked at Jeff then sighed, "I'm sorry, I'm just...worried about him. Something's not right, I can feel it. I can tell he's not that happy nowadays..." Jeff nodded, "I get that. But, look on the bright side. Miles is honestly the happiest he's ever been since you came into his life." 

Melody's eyebrows raised, "Really?" "Yeah! His whole mood lights up when you're around, and my God...he never shuts up about you, I swear," Jeff chuckled. Melody smiled at the thought of him talking about her to his parents. Do I smell a green flag, anyone? "But, for real, Melody. Thanks for being in his life. He's getting better...at least I think so." Jeff continued. But, Melody wasn't listening. She couldn't.