Act IV, Scene II

The next day. Night in Charenz. A chamber. A chair is on either side of the table in the centre. There are two cups and a wine jug on the table.

Enter WIZLAW & HELENA sitting on the chairs

WIZLAW: [emotionlessly:] I must say that I don't know. I have no clue how this will all play out. She was my whole life. We had seven children together of which three are dead now after that devastating day.

HELENA: Three?

WIZLAW: Aye. Lucia was killed by those... scoundrels right in front of mine eyes. And... my two eldest sons were... presumably killed in combat.

HELENA: What dost thou mean by 'presumably'?

WIZLAW: I sent them to gain some experience in warfare by staying on th'walls and watching from a distance. Apparently, my eldest son, Jaroslaw, was killed first when those bandits tried to scale the walls and they brought him down with them. Others say he was shot by some arrows or by that catapult but I don't know! [he covers his face] They said that my second son, Petrus, wanted to prove himself as being worthy and dashed through the main gate on horseback into th'enemy. O, I cannot talk about this for it stabs my heart right here. [he feels sorrow] Pass me that jug of wine.

[HELENA passes him the jug and he feels both cups. He drinks from his one]

HELENA: I never knew thou was a heavy drinker. That was thy third cup this hour.

WIZLAW: Do not criticse me! [he rubs his face] Sorry, I cannot control myself since all this happen'd.

HELENA: I understand how thou feels. I remember when me and... Margareta (rest in peace), have lost our siblings. We were quiet sorrowed for weeks. Eventually, although each time we thought about them we still felt some grief, the intense sadness passed.

WIZLAW: Look, I appreciate and thank thee for trying to cheer my soul but nothing will bring them back to life. Pass me that jug again.

[HELENA passed the jug reluctantly and fills his cup. He drinks it]

Thou hasn't touched thy cup since I filled't earlier. Dost thou not want it?

HELENA: I am trying to talk to thee and comfort thee but all thou is doing is drinking. If thou doesn't stop indulging in that, I will throw it out that very window.

WIZLAW: [showing some signs of intoxication] Then I will run out and catch it. If it doth break, I shall drink't from th'ground. [he drinks HELENA's wine] Pass me more wine.

HELENA: No, thou hast drank too much of it. If thou drinks anymore, thou will join thy wife.

WIZLAW: Pass me the wine for God's sake!

HELENA: Thou is a blasphemous lunatic at this very moment.

[they wrestle for the wine jug momentarily and WIZLAW wins it and drinks from it]

WIZLAW: [sarcastically:] I truly do appreciate thine honest advice Helena.

[he smashes the jug on the floor]

I am off to the tavern to satiate my needs.

HELENA: No, come back here right now!

[Exit WIZLAW

I cannot stand this. I do care for him but he has turned into some drunkard! He was a just and virtuous fellow. He did display chastity and diligence. Of course, he sometimes did drink a bit too much, but not to as great of an extent as this. He truly revealed his inner gluttony tonight. O, what if he harms himself or someone else? A tavern is full of folk who wallow in gluttony, wrath, lust and pride. That disgraced Count is bound to get himself caught up in some sort of an altercation. I must go and find him. I know it is dangerous for me to go alone at this dark hour to such a place, but if anyone finds out about this, Wizlaw will surely have his reputation punctured like an apple during an archery contest. I shall search for him at once.

[Exit HELENA hastily