Act II, Scene I

8th November. The court of the Duke of Skåne at Helsingborg. A throne sits elevated at the back with a grand table in the centre vertically to the throne. A candelabra in the middle and a candle on each quarter of the dining table. The banner of Skåne hangs above the throne. The Duke's court is greater than Wizlaw's.

Enter DUKE sitting on the throne, attended by COURTIERS (some sitting on the table, others standing), STEWARD & GUARDS

STEWARD: Well thy honour, I am pleased to bring the news that our coffers are doing extraordinarly well. Our merchants and their cogs are prospering all through the North Sea and especially in the Baltic.

DUKE: Those are pleasant news, Ragnar. How is th'reconstruction of the keep?

STEWARD: It is going smoothly. I have figured out a way to save more gold by employing less people on the project. Turns out, many of these additional labourers were unnecessary. Why would thou need five men to do th'same job that one man could do by himself?

DUKE: Will it not affect th'time it takes?

STEWARD: Only by a fraction my liege. Besides, we are growing our coffers so we can allocate those funds elsewhere in the dukedom.

DUKE: I suppose thou art right.

Enter HERALD 2

HERALD 2: [he bows] M'lord, thou hast a visitor.

DUKE: Who be it?

HERALD 2: A messenger.

DUKE: From what person?

HERALD 2: From one of thy subjects. He claims that he hath an important message which is to be delivered straight to thy hands only.

DUKE: Send him in.

HERALD 2: Aye. [he bows and calls to someone offstage:] Thou may enter.

[Exit HERALD 2

Enter ENVOY

ENVOY: [rushing towards DUKE] I have a message of vital importance for th-.

GUARD 1: Halt! Do not step closer. What is thou holding?

ENVOY: An envelo-.

GUARD 1: Show some decency and respect to his highness!

ENVOY: [he bows] Well, thy highness. I have a message for thee from Wizlaw himself.

DUKE: Who?

ENVOY: Wizlaw... the Count... of Rügen.

DUKE: The Count of... oh yes. I do remember the fellow. What is in th'message?

ENVOY: I know not enough 'bout it to tell thee but it is on the topic of some meeting.

DUKE: A meeting thou says? Guard, may thou hand th'letter over to me?

[GUARD 1 snatches the letter and hands it to DUKE]

What art thou waiting for? Please, take a seat.

[ENVOY goes to a seat close to DUKE]

Not this one. The seats closest to me are for my court. Sit on the ones further away.

[ENVOY sits closer to the audience]

Someone get the man something to eat and give him wine.

[ENVOY & COURTIERS eat and drink as DUKE reads letter]

STEWARD: Well, my lord. What doth it say?

DUKE: This letter is written in a highly respectful manner, I must admit. It reads "I beseech that thou and I meet as soon as possible in the most convenient location for the both of us. In fear of losing this urgent message, I did not disclose the information but I shall reveal it upon personally meeting thy great person.'.

STEWARD: Dost thou really think he means all these high words to thee?

DUKE: I do. Why would he not?

STEWARD: Just a thought, m'lord.

DUKE: What dost thou think about meeting in Uppåkra?

STEWARD: Is that not too far away from Helsingborg?

DUKE: Why dost thou doubt th'competence of me, mine entourage and my guard? Dost thou think that I am craven?

STEWARD: Nay, of course not. I am just worried for thy safety.

ENVOY: [standing up:] I and the Count personally see thee as a man of most honour and heart so perhaps thou should travel further. In order to ensure the most immediate arrival of him and his party, I propose ye meet at a location even closer by th'coast. If the weather is to not be sound, then thy person would have to stay halted at Uppåkra for a day or two. So, to prevent this, how about thou travels to a port where the Count shall arrive via a vessel.

STEWARD: My lord! Thou must not risk thyself for some buffoonish meeting with some lowly vassal of thine.

DUKE: Hush thy words for a moment dear Ragnar. I understand thy concerns but this envoy's words are wise words and seem rather more convenient for all of us. [to ENVOY:] Send thy liege the message that we shall meet at Trelleborg. [calling to COURTIERS:] Somebody inform the Baron of this and someone else make preparations for the journey at once.

[Exeunt some COURTIERS

Hold thy step dear messenger. Let me write th'message for thee. It will hold more legitimacy.

STEWARD: [aside:] Why can't my master just listen to mine advice? I have known Uffe personally myself for years now and he decides to listen to some lollygagger who just randomly strolled in. Trelleborg is too far away and dangerous to travel. His guard is incompetent! No wonder we lost this much land. And why doth my liege listen to some count of a completely different culture? He is a Pomeranian. Why will the Duke not listen to his own, fellow Danes? Besides, it were also these outsiders of this damn'd 'Holy Roman Empire' who stole our land in Holstein, Mecklenburg and so on. It were those damned Germans, Pomeranians and whatsoevers who done this unto us. This damaged our nation's glory and prestige and they will pay for it one day!

DUKE: [to ENVOY:] Here. Take this message straight to Rügen with haste. Adieu.

ENVOY: Adieu. [he bows]

[Exit ENVOY

DUKE: Right, Ragnar?

STEWARD: Yes, m-m'lord?

DUKE: Dost thou feel all right?

STEWARD: Aye, I do. I just feel worried about thy travel.

DUKE: Well, how about thou accompanies me?

STEWARD: I shall think about this offer.

DUKE: If thou makes thy mind up, let one of my attendants know 'bout this.

STEWARD: Aye. I will.

[Exeunt