Act I, Scene III

The same day. Evening. A castle chamber. Streaks of light emerge through the gaps between the curtains. A table is in the centre with two candles on each end. The banner of Rügen is in the background.

Enter WIZLAW sitting at the table, attended by ENVOY, HERALD 1 & COURTIERS

WIZLAW: Yes, I have already spake to his excellency. Th'plan is to repair the fortifications.

HERALD 1: Could they not be improved upon and upgraded?

WIZLAW: Not to a viable extent unfortunately for our coffers are not in a great state. We are however, planning to secure the bishopric with more barricades and two outposts on the highest points in th'area.

HERALD 1: By what time will they be complet'd?

WIZLAW: I know not of th'exact timing but before the end of this month. [to Herald 1:] Thou sir, take thyself on the morrow to Zagard and order the transport of timber towards Driuolk.

HERALD 1: Aye sir.

[Exit HERALD 1

WIZLAW: Now, I must focus on finishing this letter to th'Duke.

COURTIER 1: Why art thou writing to him?

WIZLAW: To personally organise some form of communication between us. If he doth agree to this meeting, then I'll be able to request an allocation of resources and troops from him.

COURTIER 1: Why wilt thou not just order it in th'letter?

WIZLAW: Hast thou not ever met the Duke? Thou surely knows that he shares no care for his subjects.

COURTIER 1: I have been at his court many times and I tell you that th'Duke is a most noble and commendable fellow.

WIZLAW: Thou should know that some people are of a rather duplicitous nature. To th'public, they show themselves as diligent and honourable, yet in the private they are....

COURTIER 1: What are they?

WIZLAW: I shall refrain from saying for these very words could be used against my person. Anyways, please. I must finish this letter. I want it delivered to th'Duke as soon as possible. The more time we waste, the greater will th'consequences be.

[WIZLAW proceeds to write with contemplation while the courtiers quietly talk amongst themselves. COURTIERS 2 & 3 converse unbeknownst to the others]

COURTIER 2: I must be honest with thee. Me is starting to think that our master over here is not of a stable mind. He seems to hath become quite weak-minded.

COURTIER 3: Aye, I am in agreeance with thee. This diminishing rule of his is having drawbacks on us and the entire folk of this island.

COURTIER 2: 'Tis indeed, 'tis indeed. In all honesty, I am truly thinking of abandoning his court for th'one of Werle or Skåne.

COURTIER 3: Indeed, same goes for me. I shall join in thy departure if these theatrics persist.

[COURTIERS 2 & 3 stop talking unbeknownst]

WIZLAW: [holding the enveloped letter] I have finished the letter. Envoy.

ENVOY: Yes m'lord?

WIZLAW: Take this document and deliver it straight to Skåne.

ENVOY: Right now, to him?

WIZLAW: Nay, of course not. Take a steed towards th'shipyard and seek rest in an inn. When dawn strikes, take a sail straight to Helsingborg.

ENVOY: Aye sir.

[Exit ENVOY

COURTIER 4: Art thou confident in this message?

WIZLAW: Aye, I am indeed. I truly have optimism for this to end well.

COURTIER 4: And what if it doesn't?

WIZLAW: Well, we shall wait 'n' see. I shall rely on the response of Father Time on this mattter. Now, let us not waste on sleep for a lack of it will defile the mind and allow room for impurities to be deposited.

[Exeunt ALL but COURTIER 2

COURTIER 2: Th'Count is of a feeble mind. He is degrading and rotting like th'carcass of a deer. This fool will drive the isle to ruins if his rule is prolonged. Anyone would make a better ruler than this clown! As a matter of fact, his jester would be more competent. What if, by chance, the Count fell 'n' snapped his fragile neck? Or what is he ingested a certain herb? None of this would occur from my hand of course. Perhaps my fellow courtiers would be willing to assist me in dethroning this coxcomb. His sons are worthy candidates to rule, especially if I become the guardian of at least one of them. But 'sblood! He values his dimwitted, naïve daughter over them- he surely made her the heir already in his plans. But to kill a child? That is abhorrent to my thoughts. However, I am aware that his wife's feelings for him and Lucia are bitter and cold so perhaps, she could be used as the tool to banish their daughter and seal the fate of her husband.

[Exit