Chapter 2: Essays in the library

Monday evening comes and you make your way to the library to meet with Tom

Monday evening comes and you make your way to the library to meet with Tom. After his help last week, you're almost looking forward to studying, which is a weird feeling. You also realise you're about to spend another two hours alone with him and you can't help but smile to yourself as you make your way to the library.

You know for a fact that other girls, including some of your friends would be beyond jealous if they knew Tom was tutoring you. So far you hadn't mentioned it to anyone, wanting to keep it quiet, not only because you didn't want your friends teasing you about him being your tutor but also the embarrassment you felt at needing tutoring. You were one of the smarter ones in your group of friends and rarely needed help so the idea that you were nearly failing a whole subject made you feel so embarrassed.

As you reach the library, the prospect of writing two essays in timed conditions does make you a little nervous. You spent some time over the weekend practicing the essay plans and revising the quotes you'll need for them. You mutter them to yourself in your head as you make your way through the corridors to the library.

Today has been a long day already, boring lessons followed by a windy and cold quidditch practice. You had gone back to your dormitory for a shower and got changed into a casual track suit and hoodie in your house colours. Bright emerald green for Slytherin. You couldn't be bothered to do your hair properly just to go to the library, so you brushed it quickly and left it down, a hair tie on your wrist for later when you start writing as you can't focus when your hair is down in your face. You'd taken your makeup off and only reapplied a bare minimum, and you hoped it was enough to hide your tiredness.

As you turn down the corridor, seeing the library door ahead, you smile as you remember the text exchange you just had with Tom.

He has a strange sense of humour...but I kinda like it...you think.

As you arrive, you see him sat in the same place as last time. This time in just his white school shirt and tie, no jumper or cloak, his sleeves rolled up to his elbows. Knowing that he won't be teaching you as much today, you decide to sit opposite him, secretly hoping to get a few chances to look at him more from this seat. You go to sit down and he glances up from his writing and his expression makes you nervous. He stares at you for a moment before looking away in a way that looks awkward and uncomfortable, as if fighting himself on saying something.