The Mission

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

Carmilla's POV: 2 years later...

Her black heels clicked in procession along the tiled hallway. Donning a black pantsuit with files clutched to her chest, Carmilla huffed out an exasperated breath. Glancing down at the watch on her wrist, she cursed under her breath. The meeting had started five minutes ago.

If she hadn't fallen asleep at her desk the night before, she would've been able to set an alarm, but no. Nathan, her brother, and heir to Steele Corp Industries, had neglected to do his mission reports once again, so, the entirety of the night before was spent cleaning up his mess.

As she neared the glass doors of the conference room she could spot her father, brother, and the rest of their employees already seated and in the midst of discussion. Steeling her nerves into the mask of calm confidence, she squared her shoulders and pushed the doors open.

Conversations halted, the clicks of her heels were the only sound as she strutted over to her seat beside her brother. Sitting back in his chair he rolled his eyes as she plopped herself down beside him and smacked the files down on the glass table.

She didn't have to look to know her father was staring daggers in her direction. If only he knew of Nathan's utter incompetence. Of course even with that revelation, the dimwit would always be Matthew Steele's perfect son.

"Apologies Father, for Carmilla's untimely interruption." Nathan drawled out, the delight of her misfortune apparent in his voice.

Snapping her head to him, she fought to keep her temper reined in. Seven in the morning and he was already trying her. She could've throttled him right then and there with the entire conference room as her witness, but that would only paint her as the villain and Carmilla knew enough to not feed into his antics. Forcing the anger from her features, she turned back to her father, "Yes...the reports took longer than expected."

Sitting forward, Matthew Steele folded his hands on the table. "Why don't you enlighten the rest of us about the contents of these reports, since they were more important than the meeting you were expected to attend on time." His voice dripped with sarcasm.

"Of course." She knew better than to face her father with defiance, but the urge to regain her dignity was too strong. Placing her hands on the table, she stood, addressing the room.

"Over the past month, our financial performance has seen a substantial decline, with the loss of two key clients. The persistent threat posed by the Avengers demands our attention—"