DISTANT

Narrator

Danielle had been a little bummed out that her and Y/n didn't really get to go to the movies the night they fought.

Mr. Marsh had walked into the house really excited, told Y/n something, and they both took off and didn't come back home until late.

Ever since that day, Y/n had been really distant with Danielle.

- Danielle POV -

Ever since Y/n started working with Dad's friend, Y/n had become really distant.

At first, I didn't understand why Daddy allowed Y/n to work when they had really bad grades but I guess they had made a deal the night after Y/n's mom got arrested.

"Dani, Y/n has to work late at night today. Can you loan Y/n the car? I can't pick them up because I fly out at 4am," Dad asked during dinner.

"Umm, I can pick Y/n up, Daddy. It's okay," I answered politely.

It's not that I didn't want Y/n driving my car. It's more that I wanted an excuse to at least spend a little bit of time with them.

"Are you sure? I get out at 2am," Y/n told me.

I slightly choked on my food a bit.

Y/n had been getting off work later and later everyday. Specially during the weekends.

"Yeah, that's fine. I'll pick you up!" I tried to stay positive.

In reality, I wanted to change my mind. Sleep was really important to me.

But I could sacrifice one time to spend time with Y/n.

Since Y/n had to worked right after school, I never got to see them anymore. Then they'd get home late and would sleep in my sister's room, so we didn't sleep together anymore. And we also had assigned seats in Psych class now, so I didn't even get to spend time with Y/n then.

"Alright, well I gotta go," Y/n hurriedly ate their food and ran out the door.

I watched Y/n helplessly, knowing I just wanted to tell them to not go to work.

*AHEM*

Dad suddenly cleared his throat, taking me out my thoughts.

"I should be back home before your birthday. 'Til then, make sure you take care of our little baby. I'll make sure to get you something special while I'm away," Daddy cutely told me.

"Mhm, okay," I answered a bit dazed.

The more time Y/n spent with us, the more my parents saw them as our little baby. Y/n was only a few months younger than me, but my parents still saw Y/n as my little sibling.

At first, I found it really cute and I played along with it too...

But the more the time goes by....

The more uncomfortable I feel about that.

I'm not sure why, but I don't really want people to see me as Y/n's older sister.

"You should probably take a nap before picking Y/n up. I don't want you falling asleep on the wheel," Mom told me.

"Yeah, I'll do that," I awkwardly answered.

- Mr. Marsh POV -

I was starting to get nervous about leaving the kids alone with Jiwon.

Jiwon and I had noticed the way Danielle had been behaving towards Y/n.

It's not that I didn't trust Y/n or Danielle to be alone together, but it was that they both still didn't really know each other.

They had only known each other for 3 months and Danielle was already looking at Y/n in that way she looks at things she wants.

Y/n on the other hand couldn't look less interested.

Y/n was more focused on saving up money and finishing school.

"They'll be okay. Dani probably just feels left out or something. She went from being Y/n's overprotective older sister to barely being acknowledged. She probably just misses having someone to bicker with all the time," Jiwon tried to ease my worries.

"Yeah, you're probably right. She probably just feels lonely now that Y/n works all the time," I tried to keep an open mind.

I trusted Y/n.

I knew that if something did end up happening between the kids, that Y/n would try to talk to me about it at one point or another.

- Y/N POV -

I was exhausted.

The only reason I had been working so hard was because I would be turning 18 soon.

I needed to have some money saved up before Danielle went off to college. The second Dani went off to college Mr. & Mrs. Marsh would no longer have a reason to take care of me.

If it wasn't for Danielle then I wouldn't be living in their house as it was.

"Y/n start putting the signs and cones out!" My boss told me.

I had been working with one of Mr. Marsh's friends as a road maintenance worker for about a month now. I was still in training and trying to get certified, but I liked it so far.

My night went on as usual.

There were a few dumb drivers here and there, but nothing too crazy.

Before I knew, it was time for me to go home. I drove the work truck back to the office and waited for Dani to pick me up.

She was a bit late, but she got there regardless.

"Hey, how was work?" Danielle asked, once I got in the car.

"Tiring," I yawned out.

"Did Dad leave yet?" I asked.

Over the last month, I had gotten more comfortable with calling Mr. Marsh and Mrs. Mo, mom and dad. I also got used to calling Danielle, Dani.

I even got used to calling Dani's older sister, Olivia, Olive.

God, she hated it when I said that... but I found it fucking hilarious.

"Mhm, mom and him were just leaving when I left," Dani answered me.

"Okay," I yawned again. 

I got a bit comfortable in my seat and before I knew it....

I had fallen asleep.

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-