10| Bel Ami

Adeline escaped from the tedium after being home almost all day. She went through a little wood, cycling along the winding lanes. She headed for her favorite place where she could find peace. The stunning view of the lake was seen from a distance. Its bewitching blue water gave serenity to the soul. Green trees and flower meadow around the lake enhanced its natural beauty. She got off, pushed her bicycle and then put it in the shade of a tree. The birds had been singing for some time, perched high on a branch. She sat near the lake, looking at its clear water sparkling in the sunlight.

Behind the willow trees, came Wilhelm

Behind the willow trees, came Wilhelm. He was walking toward the lake while humming some musical phrases. He saw Adeline's bicycle and wondered, "Where is she now?" He kept looking for her until he finally found her near the lake. He approached her, calling her name softly. She was startled and didn't expect to meet him here.

"I am sorry to disturb you. I saw your bicycle but I didn't see you. I thought something bad happened."

"I am alright. I am just sitting and enjoying the view. What are you doing here?"

"I am converting oxygen into carbon dioxide," he stifled his laugh, trying to make a joke.

She was dazed for a moment. She didn't get his joke right away. The war and hard times had affected the way she thought, she became a serious person. "What do you mean?"

"Oh you ruined the joke."

"What?" the expression in her eyes was confused.

"It means I am doing nothing. I am just breathing."

She began to understand his joke. The corners of her mouth curved up, shaping a smile that showed her dimples on her cheeks and then laughed. "Oh Biology. Nice joke."

He smiled and then sat down next to her.

"I am still halfway through reading your novel but i've already fallen in love with your writing. No wonder you received a prestigious award. You put many beautiful messages in it. There's a line that makes me impressed: from innumerable languages, only the language of kindness which can be understood by people around the world. Seriously, you must write more books. You're a professional writer," he said with an encouraging smile.

She felt a wave of happiness washing over her. His words of affirmation had increased her self-confidence. "Thank you for the encouragement. It means the world to me," she smiled with a warm glow in her eyes.

"Your village is very attractive. It's like a real-life history book. When I first came here, I felt like I was entering the medieval era. It's a pleasure to explore the cobblestone street, Colombage houses and Fortified gates. It's different from Kittlitz, a village where I live."

"Tell me what it looks like?"

"Mostly, there's lush green field stretches alongside the road and there's a mountain upland moor that offers a unique natural spectacle. People go there every weekend." After thinking for a moment, he added, "There's also a beautiful turquoise lake where my sister and I go to relax."

"Your sister, where is she?"

"She was assigned to Paris. She serves in the Military Women's Auxiliary Services as a typist. She was glad she didn't end up in a German weapons factory."

"Does she speak French well?"

"Yes, she does. I remember the first time she learnt French. She played Eva Busch's song multiple times to memorize its lyrics. Eva Busch brought her elegant Franco-German version of the hit song called Bel Ami. Have you listened to it?"

She nodded and smiled.

Unexpected to her, he sang it in French version with his baritone voice:

Bel Amant, Bel Amour, Bel Ami
Follement, chaque jour Bel Ami
Tu conduis sur tes pas
Une femme qui tout bas
S'est jurée de tomber dans tes bras

Ton pouvoir est si grand, Bel Ami
Ton pouvoir est en riant Bel Ami
Ton doux charme a conquis
Tous les coeurs du grand Paris
Bel Amant, Bel Amour, Bel Ami

He brought joy into her heart. His blissfulness had affected her emotionally. She let her melodious voice to sing with him in German version:

Du hast Glück bei den Frau'n, Bel Ami
Soviel Glück bei den Frau'n, Bel Ami
Bist nicht schön, doch charmant
Bist nicht glück doch sehr galant
Bist kein Held, nur ein Mann, der gefällt.

Du verliebst jeden Tag dich aufs neu
Alle küsst Du und bleibst keiner treu
Doch die Frau, die dich liebt
Machst du glück lich wie noch nie
Bel Ami, bel Amour, Bel Ami

During the singing, she smiled and behaved in such a sweet, adorable manner that pleased him so much. She took his breath away. He couldn't take his eyes off of her and stopped smiling at her. You could see how much he admired her through his blue eyes.

"I didn't know you're good at singing," he said with the tone of admiration, clapping his hands in glee.

Her face lit up after hearing his compliment.

The Lake no longer shone in the sunlight, just faintly glimmered. Around them stretched the floral meadow. The grasses swayed their tall spears; the butterflies flew around and floated in the soft wind. They walked along the bank of the lake, side by side. They conversed, smiled and laughed. There was a strange sensation, something unexplainable in words but only their heart could tell. They felt like it was as if their souls were strongly connected. Unwittingly, they forgot about their heartache because the war had taken away their youth. Most exquisite of all was a sense of calm and peace when they were together. All their worries and fears disappeared instantly.