The Loss of a Dear Friend

Start from the beginning

Theo: My Greek name, or my modern one?

Artemis: Your modern name is derived from your Greek name; therefore, they have the same meaning. Do you know what it is?

I shook my head.

Artemis: It means "divine gift." Throughout the ages, I have received many offerings by mortals and demigods alike. Some weren't as pleasant as others. But the day I held you in my arms was when I finally realized something.

She took a deep breath as she looked back at me with a tearful smile on her face.

Artemis: You are the greatest gift I have ever been given, Theodorus. You always have been, and you always will be.

I shed a few tears of joy as Artemis walked up to me. Before I could react, she wrapped her arms around me and hugged me tightly, while I did the same.

Artemis: Please, be careful, my son. I cannot bear to lose you.

Theo: I'll try, Mom.

We separated, but Artemis slipped something into my left hand and held her hands over it.

Theo: What is that?

Artemis: Your birthday gift. From me and Hermes.

I looked at her, expecting her to give me some details.

Artemis: (chuckles) It wouldn't be much of a surprise if I told you what it was, would it?

Theo: (chuckles) No. No, it wouldn't.

A silver tear fell from my mother's eyes as she cupped my cheek with her hand.

Artemis: I love you, my son.

Theo: (smiles) I love you too, Mom.

Suddenly, I was engulfed in a bright silver light before finally waking up.

I gasped for breath as I quickly sat up. I found myself on a beach as the Princess Andromeda burned in the distance.

That was all the confirmation I needed to know that it was all real. I looked at the bracers on my forearms, which were made for me by Beckendorf.

Theo: (sniffles) I'm sorry, Beck.

Then I looked at my left hand and saw that it was wrapped around something. I opened my hand and found a car fob with the Mercedes logo in the middle and a red button that says "PANIC" on the top of it.

 I opened my hand and found a car fob with the Mercedes logo in the middle and a red button that says "PANIC" on the top of it

I looked behind me and saw an empty road adjacent to the beach. I looked at the fob and pressed the unlock button.

CHIRP! CHIRP!

I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion as I looked around. There was no car that I could see on the road, so where did that sound come from?

Suddenly, a bright silver light appeared in front of me. I shielded my eyes instinctively, believing that one of the gods was appearing in front of me.