XXXIII. The Unending Farewells

Start from the beginning

Madeleine, seething with anger at the sight of Michonne being silenced, hisses her protest, her voice cutting through the tense atmosphere. "Get off her."

The governor, unbothered by Madeleine's words, proceeds to tape Michonne's mouth shut, his attention shifting to Madeleine. With an exaggerated sigh, he comments, "She talks too much, dear. You should eat. It's gonna be a long day." He then walks over to Hershel, offering a can of tuna as if it were some act of hospitality. "Nobody's gonna hurt you."

Hershel, wearied by the situation and refusing false reassurances, shakes his head in disbelief. "I don't believe that," he states firmly, his voice tinged with skepticism, refusing to be swayed by the governor's attempts to feign concern and safety.

The governor nonchalantly seats himself on the RV's couch, casually sifting through the first aid box as if their distress meant nothing to him.

"Just tell us what this is. Please," Hershel implores, while Madeleine narrows her eyes at the one-eyed man, distrust etched on her features.

"It isn't personal," the governor dismissively remarks, his indifference evident.

Hershel, maintaining his composure, retorts, "Then what is it?"

The governor shifts his focus back to them, his gaze fixed on Michonne, who remains silenced by the tape covering her mouth. "Michonne, I want you to know... Penny, my daughter, she was dead. I know that now," he admits with a solemn nod, his eyes lowering to the floor. "Now, I don't want to hurt you. I don't want to hurt anyone. I need the prison, that's it. There are people I need to keep alive. You three are gonna help me take it. No one needs to die."

Under the tape, Michonne's muffled voice utters, "I'm gonna kill you."

"I'm pretty sure she said she's going to kill you, but she won't," Madeleine interjects, her tone resolute. The governor narrows his eye, a hint of suspicion in response to her words. "I will. Mark my words, Philip, my eyes will be the last you'll see."

The governor dryly chuckles, brushing off her threat. "No, you won't," he asserts confidently, his demeanor unwavering in the face of her determination.

Hershel's firm voice breaks the tension, addressing Madeleine with a pointed look, as if reprimanding her, before redirecting his attention to the governor. "You want the prison?"

The governor nods in confirmation. "Yeah. And I'll take it as peacefully as I can."

"Governor—," Hershel begins, only to be abruptly interrupted.

"Don't call me that," the governor interjects sharply.

Hershel persists, adopting a compassionate tone. "Your people, our people, we can find a way to live together. These people you need to keep alive, do you love them?" His empathetic gaze softens the air, prompting a scoff from Madeleine, earning her a knowing look from Hershel.

"You're a good man, Hershel. A better man than Rick," the governor acknowledges, attempting to highlight the differences between their approaches.

Leaning in closer, Hershel fixes a penetrating gaze on the governor. "Everything you've said, the way you've said it, you've changed. So has Rick."

"The two of us will never be able to live together. Michonne and I, we'll never be able to live together," the governor declares, his eyes sweeping over Madeleine, wondering if Andrea had divulged details about the women in their group.

Hershel stands firm in his resolve. "We'll find a way."

The governor's frustration boils over as he raises his voice, closing the distance between himself and Hershel. "I found a way! I'm trying hard. There's all kinds of ways I could do this. This way, you get to live, and I get to be..." His voice trails off, locking eyes with Hershel, the unspoken implications hanging heavily between them.