Chapter Fifty Two

I quickly figured out that I really shouldn't have found my way back.

After a long walk, I finally found my way back to the commons area. I decided that since I had some free time, I'd train in the training room. I was making my way there when I was intercepted by someone I've never seen. He looked a bit older than me, probably about 18.

"Miss Cordell." He said, stopping right in front of me so I couldn't keep walking, "You're needed in the laboratories."

I was about to huff and complain about all this summoning that's been happening, when I realized what this could mean. I haven't been summoned there since Alexsandra volunteered a week ago.

My eyes widened for a moment, before I shoved past him and towards the laboratories. He followed after me, not saying a word.

I made it to my destination soon enough and shoved open the door, walking into the all white main room. Unusually, there were no doctors or scientists here. The only people in the room were my friends, all looking confused and anxious.

"Any news?" I asked, crossing my arms and leaning against the wall.

"None." Dario shook his head, "They summoned us all here but haven't shown their faces yet."

I took a deep breath and glanced at the door in the back of the room, "Well? We're all here!" I said, hopefully loud enough for someone to hear, "What's the news?"

There was a long pause and nothing happened.

Bailey huffed, "Well if they don't come soon, I'll--"

The door was thrown open and a stone-faced scientist walked in, holding her clipboard to her chest. "Thank you all for coming." She said, coming to a stop by the metal table in the middle of the room.

We were all silent, staring at her expectantly.

"I'm sure you're all wonderin--"

"Get on with it, Lady!" I said impatiently.

She huffed but then tilted up her chin, "We have grim news." She said, pausing for a moment, "We are sorry to inform you all that Miss Alexsandra Jones... did not make it through the metamorphosis process. She has passed away."