Chapter 5: Old scars opened, old friends arisen

Ava's stormy grey eyes flew open. She breathed a sigh of relief,"It was just a dream, thank spheres", Ava told herself as she took in a couple of deep breaths in, and out. Finally, slowing her breathing down enough that she could think more clearly. Slowly, she blinked the sleep out of her eyes.

For the moment,  Ava pushed that grotesque, monstrous face of the Hag  out of her head.

Ava could smell the crisp, smell of wintry air. Speckled rays of sunshine peeked through the the canopy above her. Ava loved Winter, loved how, even for a few months, the world was in crystalline form. Every, single leaf and bit of bark touched with magic.

Ava lay back down with her arms behind her head, feeling strangely content. She rolled to her left and her eyes fell on him, her mate. Gods above, that was strange to her and also scared her at the same time. Even though, he told her she was not broken... Ava knew she was; had accepted that fact a while ago.

Ava absentmindedly traced the thick, jagged scars that covered her back and shoulders. She still remembered the sting of the wip, but what she would not, could not forget: was the rough hands of the guards on her skin, dragging her broken, naked body across snow, then tying her to that pole. Ava shivered then pushed that memory into the deep pit where the rest of her trauma was locked; hidden.

But looking at Geralt, Ava noticed that: this morning, for the first time since her sisters death , the world around her felt more vibrant, less hostile, as if she had been living underground and now she saw the world in technicolour.

Ava's eyes scanned Geralt's face, as if she was trying to memorise every groove and smile line etched into that gorgeous, tanned skin. Last night had been... oh, Spheres, it had been one of the best nights of her life. Granted, not much sleeping was done, but Ava certainly could not complain.

"Watching me sleep Princess?", Geralt mumbled, making Ava jump.

"No", Ava said, suddenly feeling very warm despite the cold air.

"The fact that you think that, Geralt, makes you sound so modest", Ava replied, her voice dripping with sarcasm.

Suddenly, Geralt, in one swift movement, flipped Ava on to her back, so that he was straddling her, his hands gently held Ava's behind her head.

"Really, princess", Geralt drawled, his amber eyes scanning her face, Ava's body turned into molten tar. To her surprise, Geralt immediately  noticed Ava's change in body language , a small, mischievous smile played on his lips.

"Because, my princess", Geralt continued, trailing one hand down her arm, making her skin tingle and causing Ava to shiver, and not because she was cold.

"Correct me if I'm wrong", Geralt breathed his voice low and husky,

"But I seem to remember that last night, you were anything but modest, Princess'.

Ava was at a loss for words, her face burned and she absentmindedly bit her lip in anticipation.

"Because", Geralt purred, trailing his fingertips from her bottom lip to her neck, then down her neck to her sternum,"I recall, judging by the amount of noise you made."

Geralt leaned down so she could feel his breath on her neck."My princess was definitely a far cry from modest", he said kissing the nape of her neck, grazing her skin gently with his teeth.

Ava, shivered slightly as Geralt kissed her neck again, grazing her skin gently with his lips. Ava bit her lip in an attempt to conceal her involuntary gasp as Geralt continued to kiss and suck his way up her slender neck, until he reached the sensitive spot beneath her ear.