Chapter 4. Diminished Pride

Start from the beginning

"Did you hear that Beena saw Murtasim and Samreen together before the match"

"Oh tell me about it, last time at the social eve at the club, they were seen sneaking out to the back of the hall" the other lady spoke.

"Well, god only knows what they have been upto, I never thought Samreen would become one of Murtasim's girls. He has got quite the reputation"

"Oh yes, remember Mariam mentioning their family friends coming over, The Ahmeds."

"Hahahha, are you saying Murtasim's attention is going to be all over their daughter now?"

The conversation between the ladies, sent chills down her spine. Meerab couldn't believe her ears. If they were discussing Samreen, whoever that girl maybe, as 'one of Murtasim's girls', would she also be considered one of them now? If they knew what had transpired last evening.

She felt sick to her gut. Disgusting. What had she allowed. She had always maintained a respectable distance between herself and men/ boys. Her mother had taught her well. Any girl from a respectable family knew how to present herself and carry herself. What a mistake.

She sat still through the entire tournament, not realising when it got over and that now everyone had gathered in the centre of the ground, giving the trophy to the winner. One look and she knew Murtasim had won, and Faiyaz stood next to him, graciously clapping with a smile on his face.

She came out of her trance, remembering the conversation she overheard earlier. Standing up, adjusting her Kameez, straightening the crease that had formed all over her attire due to sitting in one position, draping her dupatta around, protectively around her. Clearly feeling that she had been violated, her space had been violated, she would now be thought of as just any other girl that Murtasim had been with. Scooting sideways, she came of the rows of chairs, consumed by the unwarranted thoughts of being regarded as a 'fast girl', her feet placed at the wrong edge of a chair, she almost tripped over the chair and was about to fall face first to the ground.

Just then strong hands, came around her, holding her in place, enveloping her by her waist, the other hand coming to her shoulder. Pulling her back to her standing position, her hair all over the place in front of her face. Flabbergasted, her hands hastily brushed her hair away, but the other person's hands, brushed past hers, pushing the hair strands way behind her ears. Her view now clearer, transfixed to the face, a pleasant one rather. Faiyaz stood infront of her, almost like a fresh breeze. "Hello there, Meerab, precious cargo, take care of yourself". A smile plastered on her face. "I am sorry, I didn't realise, my feet got caught up in one of these chairs" she looked around blaming the entire species of chairs. As if they were the cause of her actual worry.

"Why are you saying sorry? I hope you are fine though" He held Meerab by both her arms. Looking all over her, trying to figure out any hurt, any sign of discomfort.

"I am fine" She nodded, adjusting her dupatta and then tucking other stray hair strands out of her face, for a clearer view. Faiyaz was by far the only sane person in the entire family she thought.

Pulling her dupatta over her left shoulder, her gaze drifted past Murtasim, who was standing at a distance, glaring at them. His hat had now been discarded. His gloves jutting out of his pockets, he stood, casually holding a drink, with a man in a suite standing in front of him, very seriously explaining something to him. He paid no heed to him. His attention solely directed at Meerab and Faiyaz – trying to decipher the conversation.

Meerab did not know, what got over her, her hands moving to their own accord, she brushed Faiyaz's arms and gave him an understanding nod, "Thank you Faiyaz, tum nahi hote to mujhe kaafi zor se lag jaati."